Random Urination

Godzillachinchilla

Hey! The chinch randomly urinates during play time there appears to be no rhyme or reason. She is potty trained and will go in to use her potty when she is romping outside her cage during playtime. She went through a stretch where she was peeing on the couch after playing fo a little bit. We pick her up gently and say” no that’s bad”. Should we scold her differently ? I read some people put their animals nose in it and say Bad! Is that a good strategy ? She hasn’t peed outside in months! And tonight boom it happened she doesn’t have a history of UTIs either . Help!

Sage12

She could be scared. They are not perfect, one day they can decide that they don’t want to be potty trained anymore. Also I don’t believe she understands Bad like a dog would.

Godzillachinchilla

Maybe on the scared thing. But there wasn’t a startling sound. I read they can control their pee but not poop. I just wasn’t sure if this was a common chinch challenge/ behavior or just mine. Lol. She is quite intelligent if I do say so. She knows lots of commands :) Do you want a dust bath? is my favorite. Meet Macy! Furry baby extroidinare! C5B5AD6A-AC72-4148-A38C-F864346C8FD4.jpeg

Amethyst

Staff member
Potty training in chins is really more putting a pan where they want to pee with what they want to pee on rather then actual training like a cat that naturally wants to potty and bury their waste. Most chins naturally will pick a corner or spot to pee, but that's about it, but some chins will decide they don't want to pee in one spot anymore for no real reason, or decide to pee in a different spot, and some can never seem to catch on to the idea of just peeing in one spot. Telling her no or even rubbing her nose in it does no good, she knows she peed, not to mention it's gross, how would you feel if someone pushed your face into your pee? Rubbing their nose in it doesn't work for any animal really it's an old cruel form of "training", with dogs for example it tends to just cause them to not potty where you can see or when you are looking.

There are a few things you can try, first is how long are you doing playtime? and do you have a litter pan out for her to use? Even if the cage is open and accessible if she has to go and something else is closer she might use that instead. Also what are you using for bedding in the cage? I recently heard someone talking about how when they used fleece in the cage they have a problem with their chin peeing on soft things outside the cage, they switched to tile (with a litter pan) and that seemed to solve the issue. If those things don't work, and the couch is the only place she pees then another idea is just don't allow her on the couch, could be she is on the couch then needs to go right now and doesn't want to go all the way back to the litter pan. My last thought is, could she be in heat when she is peeing outside the cage? She could be peeing on things outside the cage to let males know she is ready to mate (regardless of if you have males or not).

Godzillachinchilla

Potty training in chins is really more putting a pan where they want to pee with what they want to pee on rather then actual training like a cat that naturally wants to potty and bury their waste. Most chins naturally will pick a corner or spot to pee, but that's about it, but some chins will decide they don't want to pee in one spot anymore for no real reason, or decide to pee in a different spot, and some can never seem to catch on to the idea of just peeing in one spot. Telling her no or even rubbing her nose in it does no good, she knows she peed, not to mention it's gross, how would you feel if someone pushed your face into your pee? Rubbing their nose in it doesn't work for any animal really it's an old cruel form of "training", with dogs for example it tends to just cause them to not potty where you can see or when you are looking.

There are a few things you can try, first is how long are you doing playtime? and do you have a litter pan out for her to use? Even if the cage is open and accessible if she has to go and something else is closer she might use that instead. Also what are you using for bedding in the cage? I recently heard someone talking about how when they used fleece in the cage they have a problem with their chin peeing on soft things outside the cage, they switched to tile (with a litter pan) and that seemed to solve the issue. If those things don't work, and the couch is the only place she pees then another idea is just don't allow her on the couch, could be she is on the couch then needs to go right now and doesn't want to go all the way back to the litter pan. My last thought is, could she be in heat when she is peeing outside the cage? She could be peeing on things outside the cage to let males know she is ready to mate (regardless of if you have males or not).

Godzillachinchilla

Wow super helpful!
Currently, she has a Pyrex dish with the crushed paper in it for her bathroom that’s inside a carrier that doesn’t have a door that sits on top of a fleece platform in her cage ( essentially a bathroom). The fleece bedding and perhaps the texture being the same as the couch could make some sense. Also what is the typical cycle of a chin 28-38 days honestly that sits well and makes the most sense.

That’s another thing we have noticed she definitely has chinch PMS where she gets obsessed wanting to burrow/ break and enter under the couch ( presently barricaded by bricks)🤦🏻‍♀️. She doesn’t like to par core or happy bounce just becomes obsessed with burrowing! She definitely has a cycle for sure. 😂
Also the intel on scolding or behavior management is helpful😄. I don’t want people to think we’re mean but she definitely knows when she peed and if we even say “what did you do!” She will go in her wooden tube and pout. 😔

Amethyst

Staff member
Wow super helpful!
Currently, she has a Pyrex dish with the crushed paper in it for her bathroom that’s inside a carrier that doesn’t have a door that sits on top of a fleece platform in her cage ( essentially a bathroom). The fleece bedding and perhaps the texture being the same as the couch could make some sense. Also what is the typical cycle of a chin 28-38 days honestly that sits well and makes the most sense.

That’s another thing we have noticed she definitely has chinch PMS where she gets obsessed wanting to burrow/ break and enter under the couch ( presently barricaded by bricks)🤦🏻‍♀️. She doesn’t like to par core or happy bounce just becomes obsessed with burrowing! She definitely has a cycle for sure. 😂
Also the intel on scolding or behavior management is helpful😄. I don’t want people to think we’re mean but she definitely knows when she peed and if we even say “what did you do!” She will go in her wooden tube and pout. 😔
Paper bedding is really not considered safe to use unfortunately, it's designed to absorb liquid so if she ever decides to chew and swallow it it can swell up and cause a blockage in her gut. There sadly has been many cases of that, and chins are notorious for just deciding one day they want to chew something, so even if she hasn't bothered with it yet it's best not to give her the chance to. Safer options are aspen shavings or kiln dried pine shavings. I don't know off hand how long the heat cycle is but around a month sounds about right, and although they can mate year round "mating season" is normally from around late fall to late spring in the wild, but obviously domestic chins are going to be a bit different then wild ones since we regulate their environment.

I have to say I much prefer male chins over females, lol, females can be so moody. You can get a grumpy male too, but at least you know he is a grump, females you have to sometimes gauge their mood daily (I guess just like some human women, 😅), and some can really act out when in heat.

Latest posts