Ranch Brands and Gross pictures!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these could be of some use to you..

This little girl (baby) had a chronic infection in both eye sockets, so both eyes (or what was left should I say) were removed.
It is now maintenance to keep the sockets clean and infection-free. This is done by applying a warm compress, and then flushing the eye with a sterile solution.

There is still drainage...and (pictured) happens every week or so.

This was more than likely due to eyes closed at birth/no assistance or dust left in the cage 24/7.
I'm sorry I do not know the exact cause as I'm pretty sure we were being fed bull with that first line.

Attachments

• babyeye1.jpg
    babyeye1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 20
  • babyeye2.jpg
    babyeye2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
  • babyeye3.jpg
    babyeye3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19
I'm unsure.
The previous owner just told us she was born without them. Which makes me think her eyes were just closed and then got infected and stayed like that for a year. The previous owner also kept the bath dust in her house 24/7, so it only fueled whatever was going on.

When the vet removed the mass in the left eye, it sort've resembled cotton. A puffy white mass with a tiny string attached. I got to see it, but didn't take a picture and am kicking myself for it. The other 'eye' came out in little grey pieces..was not 'whole' in-socket.

I'd be happy to call my vet and reconfirm his opinion on the matter if you'd like.
I believe he said the same. Had eyes that were left untreated and neglected, but we could never be 100% positive.

It's not big deal, I was just wondering, I've heard of this happening with chins who were born with tiny eyes and tiny openings so I was wondering if that was the case with her. What a sad story! Sounds like she's in good hands now!

Ah I see, I sure wish I knew too.
She's a sweetie..and very smart. Knows how to give 'kissies' and identifies you by sniffing your face and flicking her whiskers all over you. :)

Back