Rabies Vaccination Required?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WEFA_in_Me

Chinchillaholic
I am moving to alaska, and my chin is going with me. I read that all pet animals must have a rabies vaccination in the state of alaska. Do I really have to? What could I have my vet write so that it is acceptable? I have to go to the vet anyways for the clean bill of health for the plane, but I worry about vaccines...

There is no rabies vaccine that I am aware of that is approved for use in chinchillas. Rabies vaccines are approved for dogs, cats, ferrets, and horses only to the best of my veterinary technician knowledge :) This should mean that you shouldn't have to worry about it.

i'm a vet tech too & mrweaw's got it right :) if your vet says differently, i'd be concerned. new york is the same; all cats, dogs, ferrets & horses need to be rabies vaccinated by law. i'm rabies vaccinated as well, as are most techs & all vets. usually your vet will just give you a letter or certificate that your chin is in good health. good luck in alaska!

Back