Rabbit pellets, comparing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Illusion

I currently feed my Rabbits Purina Fiber 3 here is the break down,
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min 17.0%
Crude Fat, min 2.0%
Crude Fiber, min 20.0%
Crude Fiber, max 25.0%
Calcium (Ca), min 0.8%
Calcium (Ca), max 1.3%
Phosphorus (P), min 0.5%
Salt (NaCl), min 0.2%
Salt (NaCl), max 0.7%
Vitamin A, min 4650 IU/lb

and here is the break down for the Purina advanced nutrition

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, not less than 18.0%
Crude Fat, not less than 1.6%
Crude Fiber, not less than 14.5%
Crude Fiber, not more than 19.0%
Calcium, not less than 0.8% 0.8%
Calcium, not more than 1.3% 1.3%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.45%
Salt, not less than 0.5%
Salt, not more than 1.0%
Vitamin A, not less than 4800 IU/lb
I read that Chins need less protein, and more fiber, just curious to see what everyone thought.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if you can feed your chins this food? If you are, I was under the impression not to use anything except good quality chinfood, but I'm not a pro like alot of these people are so I could be remembering wrong.

Jean

I've not used the Rabbit Fiber 3, and it appears to be a new product by Purina. You want to stick with protein between 16-18%. You can't just judge the feed by its nutrition breakdown, but also its ingredients. After looking at the ingredients from the Rabbit Fiber 3, it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it. However, I will say that I still prefer the PANR show formula over it because it contains other ingredients such as yucca, papaya, and probiotics. There is nothing wrong with using a high quality rabbit pellet. We feed our chins PANR show formula here.

Last edited:
I know some of the Chin owners feed their Chin's Purina advanced rabbit pellets, so, yeah I'm asking if the fiber 3 would be ok. It has more fiber and seems to have less protein, than the advanced does.

As far as I am concerned the feed tag tells you very little. It lists some minimums such as the protien and fat that may in fact be much higher than the minimum listed on the tag. If the feed works for you and your animals then its a good feed for you. If it does not work for your animals and causes problems then it is not a good feed for them. Its a chance you take when you vary from the tried and true feeds that people already know work.

Fibre3 is being used with a high amount of success and satisfaction by an increasing number of rabbit breeders/exhibitors. I know this doesn't necessarily translate to success with chinchillas, but many rabbit people are more satisfied with Fibre3 than with the Show or Professional formulas. It is considered a "high quality" feed in the rabbit world.

http://www.labdiet.com/pdf/5325.pdf

At this link you will find the chemical composition for a high fiber rabbit feed. If you compare what is on the feed tag on the left side of the page to the chemical composition found on the right side of the page you will see what I mean about the tag only telling part of the story as to what is really in the bag. Unfortunately you will not find a chemical composition for all feeds and the only other way to get it is to have it tested yourself.

Jags,Thanks the replies, I'll get a new bag today for the rabbits, and read the actual bag. See if it says anything different.
MinRex, I have 9 Rabbits, 3 are Flemish Giants, that are showable. I feed them the Fiber 3, over the show pellets.
Thanks for the replies everybody.

As far as I am concerned the feed tag tells you very little. It lists some minimums such as the protien and fat that may in fact be much higher than the minimum listed on the tag. If the feed works for you and your animals then its a good feed for you. If it does not work for your animals and causes problems then it is not a good feed for them. Its a chance you take when you vary from the tried and true feeds that people already know work.

I totally agree with Jags here. So many people have problems with Mazuri, others love it. Same with Tradition. It is not only the feed either, but the mill and how it is stored before it gets to you.

Back