Quinn- jaw tumor

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

I found a lump on Quinn's lower jaw and we went to the vet. It is a tumor eating away at the bone. I have some medicine that will hopefully slow the growth. Even though I knew deep down that is what it was I am heart broken. He just turned 6 on Friday. He is still eating and pooping and playing and running, though not as much. I guess we just wait and hope.

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear this.

Do you know what type of cancer you're dealing with? And what med is your vet using to help slow things down?

My Satin had a lower jaw tumor too. It was squamous cell. Her vet prescribed piroxicam - it provided pain relief and was touted as a medicine that could help slow the progression of the tumor. Of course, we'll never know if it helped slow things down since there was just one Satin, rather than a "treated Satin" and "control Satin" who didn't receive meds. But I was happy that it, at least, provided some pain relief.

Sending hugs!

Thank you all. I really appreciate it.

I don't know what type of cancer. The vet did an x-ray which showed the where the mass was and the damage to the bone. She said that they could do a biopsy and if I wanted to, they would refer me to an oncologist in the city for treatment like chemo or whatever. I decided since he is 6 not to put him through all of that. I want our final time together to be happy as possible, not full of doctors and pain. I hope I made the right choice.

The medicine is called Maitake. It is made out of mushrooms and is supposed to be a super immune booster and fights cancer cells. Both the vet and I don't think he is in pain as of yet, he is eating the same way as always, I watched him the other night, feet in his bowl chomping away, so we don't have anything for pain yet. My plan is to go back to the vet when the medicine runs out or he starts to show pain, praying it is when the meds run out- it is a big bottle!

He is such a good boy, he was so good for the vet. He was giving her hedgie kisses while they were waiting for the x-ray machine. She said he was the first hedgie to ever do that to her, and how special it was.

I haven't heard of Miatake before. I'll have to look into it. These jaw tumors are just all too common in our little ones. Nice to know there may be something else out there.

He does sound like a sweet little boy.

It has been one week since starting the medicine and things are going good so far. Quinn is taking the medicine pretty easily. He is also running more, closer to his 3 to 5 mile average. Of course there is no way of knowing if it is the medicine or the weather or if his wheel moved into a slightly better position. But I take it as something good. Here is a picture where you can see his lump.

Last night though his foot swelled again and was bleeding. It is an ongoing issue. I covered it with Neosporin, told him to take it easy, and that I would decide if a vet visit was in order. This morning I found he ran over 5 miles. Silly boy, he doesn't listen. Maybe I should have taken out his wheel. Anyway it looks better than last night so more Neosporin and I'm keeping an eye on it.

In regardes to the medicine, he will be taking it for the rest of his life and I don't hold out hope for his cooperation to last much longer. The Dr said I could mix it in with some wet cat food. What kinds would you all recommend for an extremely picky hedgie? I want to get him eating it before trying to mix in the medicine.

Attachments

• IMAG0911.jpg
    IMAG0911.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 20
Awww... Quinn. Good job running... but take it easy little man! You don't want to aggravate that foot issue.

If you can find the canned version of the dry that you're feeding, it might be your best shot. I've had fairly good luck in the past with the Wilderness line from Blue Buffalo. Also with the Hills canned high-calorie wet food from the vet when needed for a little calorie boost.

Satin's lower jaw tumor barely slowed her down... We kept making adjustments as needed. She would not, however, give up crunching away on dry kibble. I did make it easier for her as things progressed - switched her on to Royal Canin Kitten and Baby Cat. And wet, of course. Well, actually, I just added the RCBC and Kitten in and let her decide what she wanted to do. She transitioned herself. She fussed with her meds too ;) Such a strong spirit that girl!

You're lucky - I've had no luck transitioning Rufus to crunchy food. I water down the medicine so as not to upset the tummy but I always worry that mixing it with food will put them off their food. If you see signs of this, you'll have to ensure that medicine food is completely different from their meals.

I am sorry to hear this. One of my girls had a jaw tumor too. I gave her pain meds and she was a trooper through it all. Sending hugs and good wishes.

We had to go to the vet today. Quinn's mouth was bleeding. We got pain medicine and an antibiotic, and some stuff to use when it bleeds again. He is still his happy self. To look at him and his behavior you would have never guessed that mess was in his mouth. Looking at him gives me hope we might have more time but it all changes so fast. Keep us in your thoughts please.

Mr. Quinn! I'm so happy that you're still your happy self. Sorry about the owies. I hope that it is not too bothersome or draining for you.

Hedgie hugs to you both!

We are still holding our own. The past couple of days Quinn's mouth has been bleeding more and more. I was worried that even though I am wetting his food to practically mush it wasn't cutting it anymore, so we switched to wet food. I was worried he wouldn't eat it, as he is notoriously picky, so my plan was to put the wet food only in his house and check on him in an hour or two to see how much he ate. If he wasn't eating I would put the dry back.

To minimize my trips up and down the stairs I got Quinn's food ready first, put in in his cage, took the can downstairs with his medicine dropper, put the can away, got the medicine ready, got a snack and then went back upstairs. I went into Quinn's room and there he was, light on, door open, chowing down. I think he was saying yum yum yum. I felt bad I had to pick him up and give him his medicine, but I am really happy he likes it.

Same thing happened tonight. When I put him in his house he made a beeline for his tube as usual, but stopped dead in his tracks and ran to his food dish and ate and ate and ate. He even let me videotape him with the light on. I hope this will help keep the wound in his mouth closed. I am worried about the loss of blood, he is so small and doesn't have that much.

He is still happy and playful and we are enjoying everyday together.

Little man! Glad you're still playing and have found a new yummy food that is to your tastes :) Get some good snuggles in. Your momma loves you.

This morning I picked up Quinn to give him his medicine, his mouth was a little bloody so I cleaned him all up, cuddled a little and put him back. This afternoon I went to pick him up for more cuddles and found him covered in blood. On his face, down his chest and front legs.

We have a vet appointment tomorrow anyway because he has an odd smell, which is stronger today and now I think it is the smell of blood.

He is still active running 1.5 miles last night, eating up all his food, playing and cuddling.

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. Please keep us in your thoughts.

We are back home. His mouth is is bad. It is an ulcerated open wound that keeps bleeding. The smell is from the blood. They packed it and cauterized it. It might work for a couple of days, a week, or he might be bleeding again by the morning. I decided against the final decision, which was an option, because he still acts like himself. He is playful, my boyfriend and I spent all evening playing and cuddling with him last night. He is still running, even after his busy evening he ran 2 miles. His his still chowing on his wet food. It is so hard to know if I am making the right choice. Everyone tells me that I will know. Since I don't know, I guess it's not time. I hope not, but I know it will be soon.

On a lighter note here is a picture of him in my boyfriend's pocket.

Attachments

• IMAG0994.jpg
    IMAG0994.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
Good luck with your baby. What a sweetheart! I have been through a similar situation, so I know how hard it is. Hang in there and it's great to see you showering love on the little guy! :)

We thank you both so much for your well wishes.

We had a scary day today. Friday night, after the vet, Quinn barely ate and it looked like ran just enough to go to the bathroom. I thought he had a bad time at the vet so maybe he was just taking it easy. So around 3:00 I went to go get him, I thought I would make him a snack, and he was cold, very lethargic, and if a hedgehog can look pale, he looked pale. So we cuddled him and held him. And guess what? He warmed up and was his normal self again. And ate his whole snack.

So now his room has had a temp boost, and I know I made the right choice. I also now know that when the time does come, even though it will break my heart, I will be able to do the best for Quinn. The whole time he was cold I worried that it is a holiday weekend and prayed he wouldn't be in pain until Tuesday.

So even though it was scary, it was a good thing for us.

Good call on the temp boost. Sounds like either the vet visit or the effects of the tumor itself took a toll. Glad he warmed back up and was hungry :) I hope he stays perky!!

Back