Quiet Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redruby7

Is it normal to not hear anything from your chinchilla?
I have had mine for close to a year already and I’ve never heard a sound coming from her. At first I thought I was normal and that she will open up once she gets comfortable. Though she is comfortable around me I’ve never heard her make any noise. I really hope this is somewhat normal in a way. Can anyone help me and tell me if there is anything wrong with my chinchilla or is this just her personality?

If she is otherwise acting normal and not hiding all the time (like she is scared) she could just be a quiet chinchilla. Also if she is an only chin that might have something to do with it too, no one to talk to. Chins aren't really that noisy though, most noises they make have a purpose, things like alarm calls, when then hear, see, or smell something that scared them. Contact calls, kind of like calling out "Hello, any one there?", normally when they are lonely. Or barking, when they are mad. If you have more then one through you can hear little soft squeek chatter, but as I said if she is the only one, then you might not hear it, they don't always chat with humans.

Back