"quick" slow cooker/crock pot recipes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
I'm looking for a crock pot recipes, would prefer a chicken dish, that takes about 4 hours.

Any ideas? I just got this for my birthday and can't wait to try it out!!!

Thanks!

You'll get the best results with recipes tuned for a 6 or 8 hour cook, or at least that has been my experience.

Here is a good recipe, which you can make with chicken or turkey meatballs;

Mexican Meatball Stew

1 - 14oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 14oz can of chicken broth, low sodium
2 - 14oz can stewed tomato's, Mexican style
1 - 10oz package frozen corn, thawed
1 - 24oz package turkey meatballs, thawed (about 24)

Combine all of the ingredients together in the crock pot and cook on
low for 6 hours or high for about 3 hours. I don't thaw either of the
two frozen items, I put them on the bottom and put the crock pot on
high for an hour and a half and then do the rest of the time on low.

Don't add more meatballs, because there will be plenty to begin with!

This is a great recipe because almost every thing you can have in your pantry or freezer. If I have left over cilantro and sour cream I'll often use those to garnish; however, there is plenty of flavor with out them.

Marinate chicken overnight in whatever seasoning you like (for this I go with Italian Dressing). Put the chicken against the ceramic of the crockpot. On top of that, layer partially cooked pasta like rotini, rigatoni, or ravioli/tortillini. On top of that, a jar of whatever red sauce you prefer, plus 1/2 cup water. On top of that, the lid and cook low and slow for at least 4 hrs. Cheese in the dish or on individual plates before serving. The trick with crockpot cooking is to keep the meat against the heating element, in that case the ceramic. You can literally cook just about anything in a crock pot/slow cooker if you add ingredients in the right order/layers and start it soon enough.

I had to laugh when I looked on the chin forum, and saw a request for recipes for a crock pot. I didn't realize there were other threads on here.

i found this quick and easy recipe:

Ingredients

2 (18 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

I left out the peppers and used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce (also did 6 breast because we didn't need 8); also my bf has a "texture" thing so i used pineapple rings so he could pick them off. You mix everything but the chicken in a bowl. line your pot with half the chicken pour half the mixture over that layer, make another layer of chicken and pour the rest of your sauce. this cooks for about 4 hours. just see when your chicken gets tender.
my inlaws loved this. next time we're thinking about shredding the chicken after it cooks and letting it soak in the BBQ to make a great sandwich

My favorite crock pot recipe is corned beef! This is the perfect time of year for it as well. Just buy a nice corned beef brisket, about 3 lbs, add chopped onion, I only use sweet onions and then add a can of guinness or English ale. Don't use American beer if you can help it. Let this cook on low for 6 hours. I love corned beef and cabbage dinner but I never cook my cabbage and veggies with the corned beef because I think they are too salty. If you'd like to go with the corned beef, boil cabbage, potatoes carrots and parsnips. Or you could make kolcannon which is mashed potatoes and cabbage mixed together.

I just wanted to add this...just because.

I make refried beans in the crock pot all the time because it makes it easy and I don't have to go and cook them on the stove. Using the stove requires that I am THERE all the time, and I tend to be moving all day with everything going on here.

I put in six cups of well rinses pinto or black beans in the crock, cover them with water about two inches up off the beans and let them cook in the crock pot overnight on low. They swell and get a little soft...in the morning I turn it up to high and let them cook for maybe four to six hours. Overcooking them is not an issue.

When *I* am ready to make the beans I take a little stick blender and blend up the beans right in the crock to refried bean consistency...then add dried minced onions, chili powder, green chilies, salt, pepper and some olive oil. Then I let them cook on low for a couple hours...and I have very low work refried beans and I don't have to use the stove.

The nice thing about refried beans is that you can season them however you want...you can add whatever oil (or lard) to it, as well. Serve it in a bowl like stew, on chips, in burritos or with rice and other beans. They freeze well, but will also keep in the fridge for a few days.

I made a pot of them yesterday and my husband ate most of them already. I know that this is probably a regional staple of the southwest...but maybe everyone else would like them, as well. ;)

Yay! Love the refried bean recipe. Going to try that this week. Thanks Susan!

I didn't add this earlier because it seemed that the mexican idea was covered, but now we have a theme going! So here's one of my favorites:

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 lb shredded cooked chicken
1 15 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (I use the bottled from Trader Joe's--love it!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10 oz. package frozen corn
1/4 cup cilantro

Mix everything in the crock pot and cook on low setting 6-8 hours or high for 3-4. Top with mexican cheese and crushed tortilla chips, maybe some avocado and cilantro too. Yummy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great recipes. For the 2nd time in a month I had to throw away what I made in the crockpot. It stinks when u come home & think your gonna,have a great meal and you end up having to toss. It.

These sound great. I always thought a crock pot would be my "best friend" in college, but I have only used it a handful of times... and that was for the dogs! Time to break it out again.

I made some of the beans yesterday. We have about 30 lbs of tomatoes that I have to use up soon so I put a couple in the beans when I was blending them. They added a really nice flavor to them. :D Then we diced tomatoes and made tomato, cheese (soy), bean and avocado burritos with some really great giant tortillas I bought from the food co-op. Just typing that made me so hungry. Ripe tomatoes are so good... Tonight I am going to probably can about 20 quarts of veggie soup to use up more tomatoes. :)

I can't believe you guys have that many tomatoes already! Wow! Ours won't start coming in until late July. Such a loooong wait. I have Amana Orange, Black Krim, Sun Sugar, Green Zebra, and Brandywine planted. I am daydreaming about all of the ways I will use them! Gonna PM a grilled zucchini and tomato salad recipe to you Susan. It is simple but oh so delicious!

Sorry... back to crock pot bizness.

Oh, my tomatoes were from Mexico. They have been in my kitchen in their crates for over a week ripening! :) If they don't ripen, they taste horrible...and they don't vine ripen these tomatoes in Mex.

How about Crock Pot Veggie soup with beans?

I am making this for tomorrow. I *thought* I would can a bunch of veggie soup, but it looks like I'm going to just can some crushed tomatoes sometime this week with the tomatoes I can't use up in soup or other things.

Crock Pot Veggie Soup

Rinse either a pound of baby limas or great northern beans well under cool water. Place in crock pot with two inches of water above the beans. Add a tomato or two and a couple of small onions with some celery to get your broth going....put the crock pot on low and let it go overnight. In the morning add whatever vegetables your heart desires, cover with water and let the crock pot do its thing until dinner. (You can add potatoes, carrots, green beans, cabbage, bell peppers, tomatoes, whatever you like.) Season with salt and pepper or maybe some basil and oregano. (You can put that in early or later if you want....the beauty of the crock pot is that you can pretty much put it in whenever.) If you want noodles, put them in about an hour before serving.

That is how you make the easiest, best vegetable soup ever in the crock pot without having to watch the stove. :D

I don't have a crock pot but was wondering. . . .could this be done in a roaster oven?

Yay! Love the refried bean recipe. Going to try that this week. Thanks Susan!

I didn't add this earlier because it seemed that the mexican idea was covered, but now we have a theme going! So here's one of my favorites:

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 lb shredded cooked chicken
1 15 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (I use the bottled from Trader Joe's--love it!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10 oz. package frozen corn
1/4 cup cilantro

Mix everything in the crock pot and cook on low setting 6-8 hours or high for 3-4. Top with mexican cheese and crushed tortilla chips, maybe some avocado and cilantro too. Yummy!

Wheat berries?

This may sound gross to some, but wheat berries are delicious hot or cold. I have them for breakfast sometimes with a little margarine mixed in with just a dash of salt. I mix them with parsley, lemon, salt and diced tomatoes...and put it in soups.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cooked_wheat_berries.html

You can put two to three cups of wheat berries into a crock pot and let them cook overnight on low. The next morning put them in tupperware to go in the fridge for later use.

A crock pot makes preparing grains so easy! Barley does very well, too.

If you want to try something different, make the wheat berries and use them in place of rice. ;)

I don't have a crock pot but was wondering. . . .could this be done in a roaster oven?

Sorry Kelley, just saw your note when Susan posted. I think you could definitely make that soup on the stovetop. I'd probably bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer on low for 30 mins to an hour. :)

Back