Questions to ask breeder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't actually know them, I just recognize the name and logo as something I've seen on FB before, but looking it up now I guess they aren't part of that group, maybe they use to be but have since left? or could have been on another group or someone shared a pic post from them. In any case I think it would be better discussed with them yourself though, since you are the one buying the chin. Even if it's not normally their policy they may be willing to make an exception if you take the chin the vet right away (as soon as the vet can fit you in), just to verify that it's healthy. If they stand by what they breed they shouldn't have a problem with that. A wellness exam is a good idea when getting a chinchilla anyway, not only does it give you peace of mind that the chin is in good health (assuming it is), it also gets your chin listed as a current patient, which is important in case of an emergency.

Oh, that is another thing, make sure you have a vet that treats chinchillas, not all do, as well as at least have the number for an after hours emergency vet that treats chins as well. Just like dogs they have an annoying ability to get sick or hurt in the middle of the night or during the weekend or a holiday when vets are closed. :rolleyes: You don't want to be having to phone all over the place when you need to get the chin to the vet. Do keep in mind too that chins are exotics, so vet bills can easily get very high, personally I advise having a couple thousand dollars in some form in case of emergency, either on a credit card or pet care card (credit card for vet bills), or a savings account.

Anyways, I'm heading off to bed now, I'll be back to check the forum tomorrow.
I have a tight budget for a chin. Are vet bills super expensive? Just a wellness? How much are they?

I have a tight budget for a chin. Are vet bills super expensive? Just a wellness? How much are they?
Vet costs, even just regular wellness checks really vary a lot depending on where you live and your vet (see this thread from the other day for example of how high they charge in some places Veterinary costs reality check ). I've seen some people say as little as about $35 up to about $100 just for a basic exam, average seems to be about $50. You'll have to call the vet you plan to use though to find out what they charge.

Minor injuries and illness average at least couple hundred, and more major can easily reach the thousands, and emergencies cost more then regular appointments. That being said aside from wellness checks most chins can go years or even their whole life without ever having an issue requiring going to the vet. Accidents and illness happen though, so you do need to be prepared for that, it's not fair to let your animal suffer because you can't afford vet care, which is why I strongly advise people to have some sort of vet fund set aside. Some of the posts I hate the most are ones where the chin is sick or seriously injured and the owner is asking what they can do because they can't go to the vet because they didn't plan ahead to have money for the vet. Another option I've heard is some pet insurance companies in the US have started to cover chins, I have no idea which ones though (none are in Canada).

Vet costs, even just regular wellness checks really vary a lot depending on where you live and your vet (see this thread from the other day for example of how high they charge in some places Veterinary costs reality check ). I've seen some people say as little as about $35 up to about $100 just for a basic exam, average seems to be about $50. You'll have to call the vet you plan to use though to find out what they charge.

Minor injuries and illness average at least couple hundred, and more major can easily reach the thousands, and emergencies cost more then regular appointments. That being said aside from wellness checks most chins can go years or even their whole life without ever having an issue requiring going to the vet. Accidents and illness happen though, so you do need to be prepared for that, it's not fair to let your animal suffer because you can't afford vet care, which is why I strongly advise people to have some sort of vet fund set aside. Some of the posts I hate the most are ones where the chin is sick or seriously injured and the owner is asking what they can do because they can't go to the vet because they didn't plan ahead to have money for the vet. Another option I've heard is some pet insurance companies in the US have started to cover chins, I have no idea which ones though (none are in Canada).
Yes, I will probably take her to the vet for wellness. Hopefully she won't need anything else! I live in texas by the way. Insurance is a great idea! Thanks for the info!

Back