questions from a very excited new mommy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeenae01

Hello, My name is jeena and I just adopted 2 chinchillas. the female is 2 named puff and a 4 yr old gizmo. I am going to pick them up in 2 days and have been doing research for weeks on how to prepare for them. :bump1:
i have been picking up toys and supplies for them so everything could be perfect for their arrival. Any last minute tips that are important for a new chinny owner to know. Also how are they healthwise. is there anything I should look out for, or do/not do?

Thanks,
Jeena :)

Howdy! And welcome to the forums - amazing place to find great info :)

You say "the female is... named Puff" - does that mean the other one is a male? You may need to be ready to separate them immediately (though it may be a little late if they are currently housed together)...

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do some reading here and a lot of your questions will be answered. There is so much good information here. Also, like stated above, if you have a female and male, they need to be housed separately. That means no playtime together either, or you'll have kits before you know it. Chins are great healthy animals if you know how to care for them properly. Good luck, and we would love to see pics of them when they arrive!

I have had my chin only a year and a half so I can understand there are many things you feel you need to know. This forum is excellent for any questions you may have.
Personally starting out I recommend you have an accurate indoor thermometer to put near their cages, I got a nice digital one that gives temp and humidity level at Home Depot. I am so glad I got that thing! I also recommend having an exotic vet picked out in case you do end up with kits and anyone has any issues. Even if you have your male neutered they will still have to be separated for a while after, so separate cages are good. I have also found it is nice to have Blu-kote around in case of any minor cuts, and Bag Balm for dry wintertime feet!

Thanks for the information I was very excited to hear about this site. Oh an they have never been housed together. They have seperate cages that are placed side by side so they can see one another. And I cant wait till I can go pick them up tommorow. I will definately put up picture.

Back