Question /help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

kardelen

My chin has been catatonic.... I opened her cage to let her out and she is just sitting /sleeping. She is not her usual energized self.
I didn't give it any thought during the day but now it's night and she is still sleeping and not wanting to move. I got her out of her cage but she just stands there still.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like she might be having seizures. If possible I would get a video of how she is acting and take it and her to the vet to get checked out. Has anything changed in her diet or environment? Any possiblity she ate something she shouldn't have or got over heated at all?

kardelen

We went to the doctor. She is hypothermic and the fur below her chin is kinda wet. She doesn't seem to have something in her lungs the doc said but he said that her bowel movement is slow so perhaps she is constipated.
We are giving her oil and antibiotics. I am giving her water with a syringe cause she is not moving and she is wrapped up in blanket to keep her warm.. The normal temperature the doc said is 36-37 and she was at 33 Celsius.
I hope the antibiotics work... Sighs

Rocknrolldoc

I'm so sorry to hear you and your chin are going through this. Glad that you are working with a vet! I'm not sure the policy to post links here, so you can search rabbit.org or myhouserabbit for "gastrointestinal stasis" There is an article that applies to chinchillas as well and it gives great details into handling cases like this. You can share it with your vet and read it for yourself to see if you can do anything more for your baby if you are caring for her at home.

Latest posts