Question about wooden ledges for cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergggie

My 8 year old chin loves doing parkour off the walls of his cage. I recently came across a wooden ledge in the pet store in the bird section and bought it for my chin to try out. However, it did not specify what type of wood it was. It is by a & e cage company and says it's great for chinchillas, but as you all know, this may not always be true. I have attached a link to the ledge here: http://www.aecageco.com/Products/New-Products/NB007-Corner-Shelf-Small.html
Thanks, all :)

It says plywood, and plywood isn't safe for chins, so I wouldn't trust using it. What type of cage do you have?

He has a ferret nation cage with 4 levels. The ledge seems pretty sturdy but I'd be more worried about the wood being treated with something

Plywood is most if not all the time treated. Since he likes to popcorn off the walls so much, I'd recommend ledges from Etsy by the shop PandamoniumPets. They're really good quality and aren't insanely expensive. It's better to get more than one ledge anyway so he can really hop around. If you haven't removed them already, you can remove the ramps and replace them with ledges. :)

You can also make your own shelves and ledges from poplar or kd pine boards from Lowe’s or Home Depot. They will cut them down to whatever size you want and then you just buy the hardware and take them home and finish them. All you need is a drill for the hardware. Google “making your own chinchilla ledges” and you’ll find links and YouTube videos.

I bought one of those corner shelves, too... When I got it, I decided I didn't want to risk it... Myles chews EVERYTHING!!
Again, I'd love to promote the Forever Feisty Rescue store. All of their products are chin safe, reasonably priced and support the rescue. 🐭 Forever Feisty Store

I bought one of those corner shelves, too... When I got it, I decided I didn't want to risk it... Myles chews EVERYTHING!!
Again, I'd love to promote the Forever Feisty Rescue store. All of their products are chin safe, reasonably priced and support the rescue. 🐭 Forever Feisty Store

Back