Question about fur loss

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessachu20

Hello I had a question about my 11 year old chinchilla Chinta. She is housed with another chin who's only 8 months old and they get along pretty well. . Sometimes they argue about food but that's it.
Now on Chinta's tail on the top, the fur is missing in a strip.
the skin doesn't look to be irritated or infected and I don't believe
shes been over grooming herself.
I was curious if anyone has seen this before or if you'd have any ideas as to what I should do to help the fur grow back.

Attachments

• 20140211_173107.jpg
    20140211_173107.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 22
That looks like fur-chewing... either she's chewing herself, or the younger chin is doing it.
It's probably from the stress of having a new cage-mate. It might grow back, but sometimes once a chin starts fur-chewing, they never stop.

It may be chewing, slipped fur or ring worm. I have seen it from all three and most always grows back in.

Someone is chewing on the tail. This is actually a very common place for chins to chew. Whoever is doing it may or may not stop doing it. I know that a couple of my older chins chew their mates right in that spot...I am pretty sure with them that those chins are asserting their dominance like those that chew on whiskers, that's sort of like overgrooming...

Hello! So, I noticed a small balding spot on my chin the other day and am concerned. Would you guys say this is over-grooming or does it look more like a medical problem (ringworm, etc.)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Gunther - Fur loss .jpg
    Gunther - Fur loss .jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Gunther - Fur loss 2.jpg
    Gunther - Fur loss 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 5
Back