Quarantine pasteurella?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightnurse

So we are going to go meet a lovely older male chin on Sunday. He's been at the local small animal shelter for awhile and sounds like he might be a good fit for my Darwin. I have one concern that I have to clarify with the shelter but I want some other opinions. Being a small animal shelter they do have rabbits. I'm unsure whether he's come in contact or been in the same area as them which is what I will clarify. If he has come in contact with pasteurella will the 30 day quarantine be enough or is there still a risk to Darwin? My boy has had such a rough life prior that I really want to be careful with him. He would really benefit from a friend though. I would like to give it a try. And the shelter chin is so cute. We are looking forward to meeting him. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

In chinchillas pasteurella causes upper respiratory infections which can quickly lead to pneumonia which can kill the chin within days or sometimes hours if not treated. As far as I know chinchillas can get it but can't carry it symptom free like other animals. So if the chin appears healthy chances are the chin either hasn't been in close contacted with infected rabbits, or one that is actively contagious, if he has he would be showing symptoms (sneezing, coughing, runny nose, etc). So to answer you question 30 days is plenty of time, for symptoms to appear. There are other things chins can get though so 30 days quarantine is still advised.

Thank you- that was mostly what I was worried about- the chin being a possible carrier or hiding it somehow. Will definitely quarantine since he's been at the rescue, who knows what he may have been exposed to.

Back