quarantine - distance between cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

It doesn't matter how much reading I do about quarantine, I always forget.

If I keep my chin that's in quarantine in one part of the hallway and have my other chin play in another part of the hallway, would that be breaking quarantine? I know the goal is to keep them apart so the new one's body can adapt to the new environment and to check for illness, but how much separation do they need otherwise?

No, seperate rooms, floors if you can manage it. Not different parts of the same open air space area.

Agreed. Best to have them in separate rooms so that the drafts aren't connected as much.
Definately don't want them aware of other chinnies as that can stress them out further making it even more difficult for them to adjust to the new environment.

When I do Quarantine I have the new chin in my bedroom. The other chins are in a different bedroom altogether. Wash hands, change clothes and don't use the same items for them. It's a pain but necessary. 30 days goes by quick!

The proper quarentine like others stated, is a totally different room, with no contact between the chins. If this isn't possible, the closet thing is to keep them as far apart as you can, but it isn't as effective.

I've never done a quarantine. I've had chins for five years now and have never had a problem. Now if the animal came from filth or had any signs of dandruff or hair/skin problems or was stressed beyond reason then I certainly would. Having said that, I can say that my non pedigree animals have come from places where they were taken care of very well and loved. The rest from good breeding environments. Would I do one a quarantine if needed. Yes. My herd would depend on my good judgement.

If I get chins from certain breeders that I know well and regularly get chins from I do not quarantine. Even chins that are really healthy looking and come from a good home can carry something, and sometimes quarantine will not even show it because they don't "have" it, they carry it.

True quarantine should be separate rooms, with a shower and change of clothes between animals. Most people break quarantine because of this. Germs etc can get right on your clothes and live for several - 24 hours out of the body.

if they have both already been in the same air space, then quarantine has already been broken. Moving one now would be pointless because if something was going to be passed it already was...

Can I ask how long you guys recommend to quarantine? Just interested in the difference between your ways and the way we do it this side of the 'pond'.

Can I ask how long you guys recommend to quarantine? Just interested in the difference between your ways and the way we do it this side of the 'pond'.

From what I have seen 30 days is the average - much, much shorter than we recommend in the UK.

As a matter of interest, do you guys quarantine mainly for ringworm? 30 days seems very short when you consider that other contageons can take several weeks to show symptoms. We tend to quarantine for several reasons, some being the monitoring of weight loss, condition, "norms" of behaviour etc.
There have been cases where quarantine was only done for a short period of time and in one case I know half the herd was wiped out. :(

Last edited:
30 days seems very short when you consider that other contageons can take several weeks to show symptoms.

I agree. I either quarantine for 3-6 months (if the chin gets introduced at all) or don't.

No point in doing it if what you are quarantining against takes awhile to show up, or they don't have separate living/air spaces. This also includes handling. You don't handle the new ones, then walk into your herd area. You take care of the new ones before you shower.

Otherwise, it isn't quarantine, they just live in a separate room. :)

I've heard vets recommend it for 3 months also. What you gonna think is that you need to leave them separate for the normal time a 'disease' ou 'trouble' can take to appear or show symptoms. If some take up to 3 months....well 3 months would be the right time.

Even from good breeders I've always quarantine. You don't know who came in before you, if they have animals home, if their animals are healthy. It's the same for pet stores, you don't know who was there before you. I know some breeders will not accept people in their chin room but still.

Back