Quality Cage vs. Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
I've been looking around at different types of cages and I've seen most people get the ferret nation(which I own two). But I also looked on quality cage and saw they have some pretty nice looking cages too. For this of you who've dealt with both what are the pros and cons of both cages?
I've gone through quality to get chin spins and they have good customer service, my girls love the spins. Ferret.com had good service but two of my trays were cracked and some metal was warped but the cages are still holding strong and are a breeze to clean.

I have both types of cages and prefer Quality. Customer service is good. Cage is easier to clean and comes chin proof (as long as you order the package with a metal food dish). My little girls have always had it so they do not know the difference. The big reason I like it is craftsmanship. My critter nation will not sustain another cross country move. The quality cage will last. Also some of my critter nation bars have been bent or broken.

I have a CN and I wouldn't recommend anything else. It's large, easy to clean(the doors make it simple to slide trays), it's sturdy, pretty quiet, etc... It's totally worth the money. FNs are supposed to have stronger bars, and I haven't had issues with mine yet. It came complete without any faults. :)

I've never had any other cage aside from his starter cage, but so far mines great. :)

I've owned both. I think most will say they prefer the FN. To be honest, I LOVE both. The doors on the FN can't be beat...but I prefer the wire spacing on the QC over the FN. As far as aesthetics and/or ability to decorate...they're both pretty evenly matched. As far as set up goes, pretty even there as well. Cleaning, as long as you get the pull out trays they're going to be close. If I remember correctly the QC DOES offer guards which cannot yet be easily purchased for the FN but you can get the deep pans as most know, from Bass for the FN. SO, all in all...both pretty evenly matched. If you already own FN, I personally would go with those because I prefer a "uniform" look with cages but that's just me being neurotic LOL!

For me its all about the doors, the bigger the better for cleaning.
Absolutely agree, and the best thing about the FN doors is they are easy to just slide right off giving access to the entire width and height of the cage.

Get the urge to re-outfit all the shelving? It is a snap for a single person with a FN. The CN's and the QC's are a fight because they only have a small door opening and it is difficult to reach the back corners to attach bolts if you do it solo.

I was under the impression that the FN 182 & CN were basically the same thing with the exception of smaller bar spacing? I mean, the dimensions are very near the same and the doors do completely open up. A lot of people have said the bars are weaker and break easier on the CN but it is acceptable for younger/baby chinchillas which the FN is not. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critt...qid=1398532589&sr=8-1&keywords=critter+nation

I was under the impression that the FN 182 & CN were basically the same thing with the exception of smaller bar spacing?

Oops, you are right. I was thinking the Feisty Ferret one where only half of the front opens. They look similar to the FN's but are smaller and have a wire floor.

I was under the impression that the FN 182 & CN were basically the same thing with the exception of smaller bar spacing? I mean, the dimensions are very near the same and the doors do completely open up. A lot of people have said the bars are weaker and break easier on the CN but it is acceptable for younger/baby chinchillas which the FN is not. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critt...qid=1398532589&sr=8-1&keywords=critter+nation

I actually have a question regarding that. I'm getting a younger chin(8-9 weeks) and was going to get her a FN181 to start with but I heard even at that age they can escape from an FN. Should I just play it safe and get the CN?

I've personally never used the FN's for young chinchillas...but have used other, similarly spaced, cages and freshly weaned (your age range) kits CAN sometimes escape that spacing. It would really depend on the size of your young one but yeah, as their first cage if you ARE going to go with the FN you may want to have a small back up cage in case your little one is "too little" for the FN initially.

Back