Pygmies!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
In trying to find a pet for my students and I to enjoy, I found these little guys...

DSCN1799.jpg

Meet, Henry, Katherin, Anne, and Jane, members of Rhampholeon brevicaudata, otherwise known as pygmy bearded leaf chameleons. I adopted them from a vet tech at an exotics center, and before I adopted them, I made sure they were captive bred (sort of a big deal with reptiles to keep the harvesting of wild species down), and I made sure that they would be okay in a classroom setting (my other chams don't so much like people). They are mellow little guys, and the three females are gravid, so we should have some eggs soon!!

They are going to be brought into the room on Monday, put in a safe place where they can be observed without being bothered, and allowed to get used to their settings. If they show any sign of stress, they go right home.

My husband wasn't too excited initially, but when we got them, he started to come around. He thinks they're pretty cool now!

:)

oh wow!! They are really cute! I didn't know that such a small breed of chameleons existed. I bet their little tails are the cutest! (hint hint: more pictures please!)

They are actually referred to as "stump-tailed" chameleons, so they don't have much of a tail at all. They are primarily terrestrial, which really sets them apart from other chams that spend their time hanging out in trees. The sad part is, as cute as they are, they really shouldn't be handled often (putting them into their enclosure and getting pics were the only times I've handled them). Because they are so small, their bodies are easily influenced by the temp of human hands, and you don't want them to get too hot or too cold.

Here is a pic of one in their enclosure:

DSCN1812.jpg

Sorry if it's blurry; they are ridiculously hard to focus on!

P.S. Anyone recognize their names? ;)

They eat 1/8 inch crickets and other small insects. They can actually eat up to 1/4 inch crickets, but sometimes they get are a little too big.

Very good, Kate! I told my kids the names on Thursday, and I had several come in the next day and tell me who they were!

I hope all the ladies fair better with Henry then the real gals did lol! Very, very cute!!! I hope they enjoy them!

Back