Purina Rabbit Show pellets - any problems?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelodyR

My daughter-in-law raises bunnies and feeds them the Purina Rabbit Show pellets (blue bag), 4 of my 6 chins are on it also, because that's what they were fed from birth (my other two are on Kline b/c that's what they were fed).

She recently had two bunnies die unexpectedly (appears bloat broke out in her group at the same time). Her bunny breeder friends said they had had a problem with the Show pellets and lost bunnies as well recently. They said they had contacted Purina and there may have been a contamination problem in a recent batch, thought to be due to the fact that their factories also make dog and cat products. This is all third-party hearsay, so take it for what it's worth, which may be nothing.

I know alot of you use these pellets -- has anyone had any issues? Don't panic -- again, I am only going by what she said she heard. She has stopped using the product though. My thought was that she feeds her bunnies only tiny amounts of hay, and I would assume they are foraging animals who should be getting alot of hay. I think that might be her problem with gut stasis/bloat.

I feed my chins Purina Show I hope there isn't a problem since I just switched over 2 months ago. The batch I got was dated Sept 1.

We feed PRCS to all of our chinchillas and the occasional rabbit and no problems. Animals are doing really well on them.
Rabbits should have hay as a majority of their diet. Hay should be given 24/7 and if the rabbits don't gorge themselves on pellets, they can be free fed. But some rabbits love their pellets and will get very fat on them, so they need to be restricted. The rabbit I have right now is a medium lop-sized neutered male and gets a tablespoon of PRCS once a day. Hay 24/7 and quality greens in the evening.

That "rumor" and that IMO is what it is has been going on for months here in CA, those that are blathering about it have not had necropsies, have not had the feed tested by a independant party and have no proof that its not their husbandry. Until someone steps up and actually wants to OMG SPEND MONEY on testing and necropsies they should keep their pie holes shut.

All of my chins eat PRCS and are doing really well. I am quite happy with it and it has been a long time since mine have had any digestive issues and none since I switched to PRCS - which was right before they changed from PNAR.

Chloe's been on it since June/2010 and she had gas once but I can't say it was the feed. Other than that she's been fine with it. She's overall gained weight on it, too.

Well, I really didn't think it was the feed. It's been decades since I had rabbits (I used to raise them when we had a ranch), but I recall giving them alot of hay. She only gives them a tiny tiny bit as though it were made of gold - she said that's what the breeder told her to do. What do I know, though, I'm only the mother-in-law -- LOL. I have not had any trouble with either food.

Besides the poo being thinner when on psrc no health issues. I did switch back to mazuri mix oxbow and poo is going back to normal size.

My chins and rabbits are fed with PRCS. I never had a problem with this feed. What I like about it is it contains no corn.

okay just wanted to clear this up. the livestock Purina feed is not related to Nestle Purina which makes dog and cat food. i work for Nestle Purina and Nestle bought only dog and cat part of Purina in 2001. Land'o'Lakes bought Purina Mills which is the livestock food in 2001. Just wanted to let you know.....

They said they had contacted Purina and there may have been a contamination problem in a recent batch, thought to be due to the fact that their factories also make dog and cat products.

Last edited:
Back