Prolapse question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

So Ferdinand has not been doing well, he had a prolapse about a week ago and has been in and out of the vet since and has a follow up appointment tomorrow (it was supposed to be to take out his stitches that were put in because of the prolapse but he apparently decided to take care of that one himself, the punk)

But my question is, what can cause a prolapse? Also, the vet said one possible cause could be parasites (we didn't have any poop to test for it, so he's being treated just in case), so what can cause parasites and how easily can my other chinchilla get them or anything that could cause a prolapse? I've been keeping an eye on Chimney, my other chin, and he hasn't shown any abnormal behavior and he is in a separate cage, but just would like to know how concerned about him I should be as well.

Thank you, sorry it's sort of a convoluted set of questions!

Bacteria, parasites, diet-meaning lack of fiber, genetics, extreme stress which caused constipation are some of the most common causes. A course of meds to treat bacteria/parasites something like flagyl is a good idea if the chin was on a high quality diet and had no lifestyle changes. If it was my chin I may have the other one get a fecal float just in case it was parasites.

Wow, that's quite a few potential causes! I'll bring Chimney's poop in for a float at Ferdinand's next appointment. Ferdinand was on two parasite medications that just were finished as well as an antibiotic which he's still on. He's on Oxbow pellets, timothy hay, and no treats so it doesn't seem like diet is the cause.

Back