Professional Pest Control? (roach spray)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trg005

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I live in Charleston, South Carolina and in this part of the country you must have your house sprayed monthly to control roaches, palmetto bugs and/or waterbugs. My vet said it is fine to spray with Meatball, my chinchilla and Dexter and Dart, my sons chinchillas in the house. However, the pest control company will not spray in the rooms the chins are living in. This presents a problem especially with this hot, humid weather. They will spray outside windows but that is all. I've asked if they would spray on the opposite side of the room with the fan and air conditioner on but they won't and said they won't spray near any small animal, hamsters, birds, chins, etc. My question for all you southerners, what do you do to combat waterbugs when you own chinchillas? I used the search feature but could not find any answers so I am sorry if this question has been posted before. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!

I would just move the chins out while they spray. I would do that anyway, even if the vet said it is safe for them. Any inhalant can cause issues in chins, and I wouldn't risk it. Grab yourself a carrier, put them in it, and take them somewhere cool, even to the vets if you need a place for them to stay for a couple hours. Let them spray and do their thing, then bring them back.

Yep, that is what I did, it was a pain in the butt to move the huge cages, but there really is no other choice. It gave me time to deep clean the cages too. I hate the palmetto bugs- they are so gross!

Back