Prevue 7500 Cat Cage for chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbythechin

I've been looking for a replacement cage for my chinchilla, Ebenezer, and I stumbled upon the Prevue 7500 cat cage. It seems to have everything I'm looking for:
-VERY spacious
-Entrance at ground level so Ebenezer can hop in and out as he pleases during playtime
-Solid rust-resistant construction with replaceable shelving (I plan on buying 3 more shelves to make it 5 levels)
-On wheels so I can easily roll the cage into another room if Ebby makes a racket in the middle of the night

Here is a link to the cage: https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-Products-Premium-Deluxe/dp/B015RRSZXO

Should I be concerned about anything with this? I know it's made for a cat and not a chinchilla necessarily, but it seems to be perfect. The spacing between bars is 1" - that should be tight enough so Ebby can't escape, right?

Some problems I see would be the shelving is plastic, but if you plan to replace the shelving with wood that's ok. Also the bottom is plastic with plastic clips, so you will need to cover the bottom and use different clips. You might need to somehow cover the plastic door clips too (they look plastic anyway). The hammocks it comes with are not chin safe. You'll need to make sure you have shelving and chin safe hammocks over lapping, a fall of more then a foot can seriously hurt or even kill a chin. Also keep in mind that to clean it you have to lift up and remove the whole cage, so that might make it hard to have enough shelving to make it safe and beable to lift it up for cleaning.

Aside from those things, I honestly don't know how strong the bars are, so you may have issues with bars breaking under the weight of a chin safe wheel or added ledges and stuff. 1" bar spacing is the max it can be for an adult, so ok so long as the bars are not flexible at all, otherwise the chin might be able to squeeze out or even get stuck. Also rust resistant is not the same as rust proof, so not sure how well it holds up over time if the bars gets pee on them regularly.

Back