Preparing wood question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaMilo

So I was wondering if it is ok to prepare wood from a safe tree using branches that have fallen on the ground? I have a tall sycamore tree that is way too tall for me to snip branches but they fall on the ground. Is it ok to use those branches as long as I clean them correctly? Or do they need to be snipped of the tree right there and then to use them for my chinchilla?

Unless they are newly fallen branches, like live branches that broke off the tree during a recent storm, I wouldn't. Dead branches that fall are going to be possibly bug infested or rotten and could have mold or fungal growth in them.

Unless they are newly fallen branches, like live branches that broke off the tree during a recent storm, I wouldn't. Dead branches that fall are going to be possibly bug infested or rotten and could have mold or fungal growth in them.
What about if there is green under the bark?

What about if there is green under the bark?
That sounds like newly fallen live wood, not a dead branch that fell off, so it should be ok. Just check to make sure it's not soggy or anything, then wash, boil, and bake it for the chin.

Back