premature kit, help me please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayedreeh

Hello, you guys! I am new to this forum and I would love some advice, please. My chinchilla had two premature babies yesterday and one was born dead but the other one is fighting to live. I did not know she was pregnant as she just had a litter (yes, I separated the male immediately). The mom is of course cleaning and warming him but I am quite sure the kit is not eating. When I first weighed him yesterday he was 31 grams and now he is 27 grams. I am force-feeding him kitty replacement milk every 2 hours but he keeps spitting it out or taking it out his nose. I am also worried about his eyes being closed. I tried gently rubbing with warm water and a q-tip today. Please, any advice will help. I have owned chinchillas for 3 years now just in case anyone is wondering.

Cat replacement milk is for carnivores, not herbivores. You need fresh goats milk. Also, if he's spitting it out of his nose, then you're putting in too much at a time. Use an eyedropper and put a drop on his lips, let him lick it off, then repeat.

Continue to try and get his eyes open. It helps a ton with their motivation to move/eat/live.

Here's a link to kit care:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

Canned goats milk was recommended in this FAQ, but that was when fresh wasn't readily available.

Back