Potentially Rehoming a Chinchilla CONCERNS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tessapixie

Magical Girl
Hey, guys! I haven't been active on here in so long! I really should come in here more. I haven’t really felt the need to post since I lost Titan a few years ago, but I’m finally ready to move on and get a new chinchilla. Titan came from a pet store (was also missexed. He was sold to me as a female so originally I was calling her Amaris. Then I noticed he had balls, haha so I had to change his name to something a little more manly.)

Anywho, I’ve been researching breeders in the area but have also been looking at certain rescues looking for a new chinchilla. I’ve also been contacting some pet stores seeing what they have available. Titan came from a shop, so I don’t really have a bias against chinchillas who come from a pet store but many people do believe that breeding is best. Unfortunately, many of the rescues aren’t very close to me. I don’t drive but my boyfriend does. He may not be too keen on driving so far but you never know. 😅

As I was contacting a pet store today, the owner mentioned that he got an e-mail from someone a couple of days ago looking to rehome their two year old female chinchilla. It’s their daughter’s and she’s away at school. They’re looking for someone to give her more attention than what she’s currently getting (basically 0 hours of playtime as the owner said she hasn’t been handled in quite some time). I got the owner’s phone number and we were talking today. He claims that the chin is active and has no health problems or needed to see a vet (I’ve been asking such extensive questions), but there were a couple of things that seemed like red flags to me.

He said she loves to eat raisins once a week as a treat. (Red flag number one. Those aren’t the best choice. Personally, I would opt for healthier treats.) He also sent me a link to the food they're feeding her. (Ugh, red flag number two... garbage food. I was feeding Mazuri to Titan.) The photos I was sent showed her in a cage with a wire bottom only. No fleece or anything on the bottom. I can just imagine how badly her poor feet probably hurt her. (If anyone is interested in seeing these photos I can PM. I don’t feel comfortable posting them since they’re not mine. ^^;;

While part of me wants to go up there and rescue her right now from these conditions and just go love her, I’m uncertain. Am I overreacting about these red flags I’m noticing? Should they be a complete dealbreaker in me not to take her, or is it just my anxiety? I’m afraid that while I would be giving her a better life at home here, something will go wrong somehow since she’s been on this terrible food for so long... I’m just a little nervous to take her knowing how she’s living at the moment. I’m so sorry if that seems silly. -_-;; it’s a strange feeling to fully describe. Please let me know your thoughts. :3 Thanks in advance!

It's hard to say how much damage the inappropriate food has caused. At two years old that isn't that long, my guys were eating junk filled food for the first 3 years of their life before I got them and switched to Oxbow. They are now 13 and seem to be doing good. So personally I wouldn't take that as too much of a red flag if she isn't showing any symptoms of a problem. Once again with the wire floor it depends, it's not possible to tell how much if any real damage it has caused, does she have ledges or anything? or just sitting on the wire 24/7? If she has shelves it might not be as bad, yet. Also does the cage look clean otherwise? if so there is less likelihood of there being possible foot infection. What about chew toys? or other things in the cage to chew on? if none there could be tooth issues developing.

Personally I would go for it, she is only two, but keep in mind a vet visit is a good idea as soon as you can just to check to make sure everything is ok. She could have unseen health issues, so be prepared to budget for that. Also do you have a more appropriate cage for her? or will you be able to fix the cage enough so she isn't on wire? If not that is another thing to consider.

It's hard to say how much damage the inappropriate food has caused. At two years old that isn't that long, my guys were eating junk filled food for the first 3 years of their life before I got them and switched to Oxbow. They are now 13 and seem to be doing good. So personally I wouldn't take that as too much of a red flag if she isn't showing any symptoms of a problem. Once again with the wire floor it depends, it's not possible to tell how much if any real damage it has caused, does she have ledges or anything? or just sitting on the wire 24/7? If she has shelves it might not be as bad, yet. Also does the cage look clean otherwise? if so there is less likelihood of there being possible foot infection. What about chew toys? or other things in the cage to chew on? if none there could be tooth issues developing.

Personally I would go for it, she is only two, but keep in mind a vet visit is a good idea as soon as you can just to check to make sure everything is ok. She could have unseen health issues, so be prepared to budget for that. Also do you have a more appropriate cage for her? or will you be able to fix the cage enough so she isn't on wire? If not that is another thing to consider.

Thanks so much for replying to me, Amethyst. 🙏🏻 If you don’t mind, I can PM you the photos I was sent so you can see them for yourself. I do have a Critter Nation cage but right now I don’t have the pans. I would have to order those first before taking her, as well as getting her other supplies before picking her up. I mentioned that to him and luckily he’s in no rush. I started a new job back in October and my paycheck this period wasn’t as large since they just started taking out money towards my pension and will be continuing to do so for the next couple of paychecks so I wasn’t able to purchase everything I needed at once this week. I’ll have to wait to get everything else in the next couple of weeks. I want to take my time in getting everything ready for her as soon as she arrives. I also think the vet visit is a good idea. I can inquire as to how much they think a check up could be. I didn’t have to take Titan until he got sick which cost me a little over $100.00 for all of the medications and such.

Ok I took a look at the photos you PMed me, it does look like there is at least a couple shelves, so that is good, but no chews or hay and she looks to be in need of a bath badly. The cage is "fixable" I've seen people with similar cages, if you want to use it while saving up for the pans for the CN cage. You can get cheap fleece throw blankets at places like Walmart or bargain stores for a few dollars, I think in the US Walmart has them for $2.50, that you can use to cover the bottom wire floor. Or even put some tiles on the floor to cover the wire grating.

I would take her if you can, I don't see the issues with the food or cage as being deal breakers. She is still young enough that any damage done can likely still be corrected. However one thing that does make my wary is not knowing when the photos where taken, aside from needing a bath she looks ok, but I would want to see the chin in person before making a final decision to take her, especially if they are wanting money for her (you didn't say). Make sure she actually does look and act like a normal healthy chin.

I agree with Amethyst. I see no reason not to go for it.

We got one of our chinchillas from some people who could no longer keep him. They were feeding him raisins, peanuts in the shell, peppermint candy, Charlie Chinchilla Food - and he also had an outdoor cage so he could "get some sun and fresh air" every day. They had him for at least two years before we got him, and he is 18-ish now.

Thank you both. They said they didn’t want money from me, just someone to love her.

EDIT: I also have another rehoming lead by someone else, so I’m also highly considering that option. 🙂

Last edited:
Thank you both. They said they didn’t want money from me, just someone to love her.

EDIT: I also have another rehoming lead by someone else, so I’m also highly considering that option. 🙂
If I were you I'd sweep that baby up in a heart beat! I rescued my chinchilla last year. She was 2 years old, lived in a hamster cage, had poor quality food, no toys, no exercise, was being fed rabbit treats, no human interaction and was placed in the garage....we live in SoCal.....it gets above 100 degrees in the summer I have no clue how she made it. She didn't look like she was bathed in a while and had some dental because she wasn't getting hay on a regular basis. I immediately rescued her and that was the best decision I ever made. She now lives in a CN, so so so many toys, several hides, several ledges, is eating oxbow, her dental issues were self corrected, had a giant wheel and gets plenty of lovin from me. I would immediately take that chin if I were you. You can taker her to the vet but chances are she doesn't have any major medical issues. Just give her all the love you can give. It may take a while for her to warm up to you but in the end you won't regret it.

Also can you send me the pics of her condition so i can see how bad it is currently?

Thanks so much for everyone’s help with this. In all honesty, my boyfriend and I were out yesterday at a café and he had mentioned to me that there’s a possibility that he and I could be living together within this year (long story short his brother might be moving out and offering us his place) and he feels that taking in a chin right now while our living situation is up in the air isn’t the best choice right now. He feels like we should wait to make sure our living situation is completely stable so we wouldn’t have to put the poor chin through the stress of moving and getting acclimated to their environment multiple times. I imagine that’s very stressful. As much as I truly want one this moment I would like to give it the most ample space possible instead of having her cooped up in my bedroom without much room for play.

Hopefully the situation works out in our favor, though and we’ll be able to add one into our family again soon. 🤞🏻

@Devynthecatwithsocks, I will still send you the photos.

Back