Potential GI/Bloat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanda_Ruki

Advice would be very appreciated here.

My chin was showing signs of discomfort yesterday evening—He was making some soft squeaks when I would press (gently) the side of his abdomen and stomach. I immediately fed critical care, massaged his tummy, and have been monitoring him around the clock.

He is eating his pellets, as well as hay. He is taking treats and he can move about normally. All poops have been normal. He is drinking water. So far he is just choosing to sit in place. He’s been far more subdued or than normal, specially during hours when he is usually very active. There has been more coprophagy than normal.

He has not squeaked or shown excessive discomfort again. My concern is is there something I should be watching for specifically… Could with this potentially just be tied to the change to warmer weather? (never fear, his area is cooled appropriately)

Last edited:
Follow up: critical care and fluids were recommended by the vet via phone. Both he and I get quite stressed out with having to make the trip to the actual clinic, so if I can treat it at home, that’s obviously preferred.

Ok so just to clarify, when you say there has been more coprophagy then normal, do you mean he is eating more poop then normal? They normally have certain poops that come out every so often that are soft and full of good bacteria that they need to eat, they normally eat it right from their butt as it comes out. They don't normally eat their regular hard poops. If he is eating his normal poops that could be a sign of an issue either something is off in his diet or he isn't digesting his food properly for some reason.

Ok so just to clarify, when you say there has been more coprophagy then normal, do you mean he is eating more poop then normal? They normally have certain poops that come out every so often that are soft and full of good bacteria that they need to eat, they normally eat it right from their butt as it comes out. They don't normally eat their regular hard poops. If he is eating his normal poops that could be a sign of an issue either something is off in his diet or he isn't digesting his food properly for some reason.

Yes, this is what he is doing. I'm not sure if I'm being hypersensitive to his every action right now and that's why I am noticing it more. It is odd because in some ways he's still behaving perfectly normal, save for that first night. Other than that he's just more subdued than he usually is.

So he is just eating the special soft ones? or eating all his poop? If it's just the soft ones it's normal, they produce them more at night when they are active, normally when people are sleeping so you may not notice. Also if he is acting normal now otherwise it's possible he just ate something (not uncommon to end up with something that shouldn't be in the hay for example) that has now passed with the help of pushing some CC through and he is better.

Yep, looks like special soft ones only. Not older poops. I did just switch him to Small Pet Select from Oxbow pre-bagged hay, so that's very possible. I will get into the habit of checking his hay thoroughly. Thank you for your advice!

So he is just eating the special soft ones? or eating all his poop? If it's just the soft ones it's normal, they produce them more at night when they are active, normally when people are sleeping so you may not notice. Also if he is acting normal now otherwise it's possible he just ate something (not uncommon to end up with something that shouldn't be in the hay for example) that has now passed with the help of pushing some CC through and he is better.

Would you happen to know if this could be a reaction to the warmer incoming weather? Even though he’s indoors...

Would you happen to know if this could be a reaction to the warmer incoming weather? Even though he’s indoors...
I wouldn't think so, is it getting warmer in the room he is in? Even if it's warm outside the temp in the room should be kept fairly similar year round.

I wouldn't think so, is it getting warmer in the room he is in? Even if it's warm outside the temp in the room should be kept fairly similar year round.

We’re in Arizona and don’t use our heater in the winter, so it drops to low/mid 60’s, and then goes up to 70/71 for spring and summer. So slight fluctuation. I read here that chins might be sensitive to that so I was wondering if that was indeed true...

We’re in Arizona and don’t use our heater in the winter, so it drops to low/mid 60’s, and then goes up to 70/71 for spring and summer. So slight fluctuation. I read here that chins might be sensitive to that so I was wondering if that was indeed true...
That shouldn't be enough to really bother a chin. Comfort zone is about 50-70F.

Back