Potential case of malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samcp26

Hi,

Just to provide a little background info my 2 1/2 year old Chinchilla has recently started developing symptoms that seem to point towards malo, at first it was just a slightly watery eye on his left side with some occasional white discharge however over the past few days I've noticed he is also occasionally pawing at his mouth. He has also become slightly less active, but not what I would consider lethargic. He's still pooping and his weight doesn't seem to have changed (at least not noticeably).

So I took him for a trip to the vets earlier today and was told his overall health looks good in terms of weight etc, however they found that one of his molars of the left side appears slightly overgrown. He's scheduled to go back for an x-ray early next week where they are also planning to trim any overgrown teeth and check for root elongation.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect post-trimming in terms of aftercare and what I can do to make the recovery process slightly more comfortable for him?

Thanks!

If root elongation is discovered, the kindest option is to euthanise. Also, please be aware that maloclusion is potentially a death sentence. Teeth can be trimmed, but will need regular repeat trimmings and what needs to be considered is the quality of life that a chin will experience if this is the case.

Back