Post pics here of your new chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will. I really didn't have him out for long at all. Probably around 5 minuites, maybe 10 at the most, I didn't have a stopwatch or anything so idk the exact time but it certainly wasn't long.

Oh, that's good to hear! I was afraid he was upset or something. I almost put him up when he did that but then he started jumping all over me like I said, so I didn't.😊 is it normal for him to hide behind me when he hears any loud sound? I mean, even when it's me that make the loud noise,he still goes behind my back. Does he know it's me?
If you are the only large thing in the play area, then yes it is normal. Also even if it was you that made the noise, going behind you makes it harder for you to see him, in case you are a threat.

I set most of his toys out yesterday when I got him out, he didn't really even notice them! Why didn't he touch him? When I give him toys while he's in his cage, he grabs them from my hand and takes them to his hideout but never chews alot on them. He did chew the seagrass ropes all to pieces but the most of the others he pretty much just nibbles on them once or twice, then throws them down and runs off. Maybe he thinks the seagrass ropen are hay? He did kinda like the palm flower. Is it because he's new or does he just not like them? He loved the willow sticks! He seems to not like anything colored. Which is kinda heartbreaking to me because I was super exited to be getting him colored toys from chinvilla!😂 He's a little stinker.😁
He is likely still settling in and overwhelmed, like a little kid on Christmas morning with a bunch of gifts. Breeders seem to rarely give toys, normally just one chew and that is it, and normally just a plain chunk of wood or lava rock, nothing colorful and not many. He likely isn't use to things that are colorful so may not be sure about them yet. I normally give my guys at least a couple weeks to a month before I decide they don't like a new toy, since sometimes it will sit there for awhile and then just one night they decided "it is time" and destroy it. 🤣 Also kits aren't going to be as destructive chewers as adults, it can take a few months for the really hard dark orange protective enamel to grow on their teeth (they should be yellowish orange by now though) so they don't need to chew quite as much at first.

He did chew a good bit on those palm shredders. He always tries to chew on the broom when I sweep his cage, I thought he might like this. What do you think?
Would these work? Is it the same thing?
Those raffia paper things, are fairly new thing for chin toys, and is a tough fiber so I'm not 100% sure it's safe and I definately would not use any intended for crafts unless you know it's 100% organic and not treated (craft stuff is often treated to prevent mold for example). It is made of a type of palm, but it's not the same as the palm leaf toys or palm leaf shredders. I would rather be safe then sorry on that one, I've heard some say it's safe since it's palm, and others say it's not safe because of the tough fiber. Personally I wont use it until I know more.

Back