Post pics here of your new chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

Got a chinchilla recently? Or have pictures of him/her? Post them here! We would love to see your new addition to the family! Or even if theyre not new, we love seeing furbabies!

Here are pics of my new baby! I'm picking him up tomorrow!😍

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-18-01-32-12.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-18-01-32-12.png
    423.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2021-04-18-01-32-23.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-18-01-32-23.png
    600.5 KB · Views: 4
I know! I can't wait to see how big he is! He doubled in size from 3 weeks to 6 weeks so idk how much bigger he'll be tomorrow. Those pics are him at 6 weeks

The first one is at home, the second is in the car, the third is him asleep in the car!!!😍😍😍

Attachments

• 20210418_205239.jpg
    20210418_205239.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210418_160749-1.jpg
    20210418_160749-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210418_173424.jpg
    20210418_173424.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5
He's still warming up. Idk what he what he wants!😂 I've been feeding him from my hand, like giving him one pellet at a time or even giving him a few toys to play with. So he'll take the toy out of my hands and he'll go running is hideout and set it down and then he'll come back out and pick another toy and and do the same thing. I gave him a dust bath last night and he loved it! But this morning I started giving him pellets and toys like I did last night and he seems to be warming up a little bit more, but when he's coming out now and just sits and sniffs my hand nibbles on my fingers like he's looking for something but not the pellet. Any idea what he wants?

He's still warming up. Idk what he what he wants!😂 I've been feeding him from my hand, like giving him one pellet at a time or even giving him a few toys to play with. So he'll take the toy out of my hands and he'll go running is hideout and set it down and then he'll come back out and pick another toy and and do the same thing. I gave him a dust bath last night and he loved it! But this morning I started giving him pellets and toys like I did last night and he seems to be warming up a little bit more, but when he's coming out now and just sits and sniffs my hand nibbles on my fingers like he's looking for something but not the pellet. Any idea what he wants?
Chins do groom each other and their humans, if it's just light little nibbles it's a sign of affection, that he likes you, like a dog licking you. It's also possible, if you use any sweet scented soaps or anything, or your hands smell like food, that he smells that on your hands and wants to know where you are hiding the "good stuff", lol.

I let him out for a few minutes in my closet. This guy that I watch all the time, said that it's a great way to bond. It seems to be working really well! He jumps all over me like I'm not even there. When he hears any sound, even if it's me, he runs behind my back and waits to come out until I pet him and tell him it's ok.😂

Last edited:
The funny thing is that he makes this sound when he is out of his cage, he looks like he's looking for something? They said that it means he's calm but he looks like he is looking maybe for a place to hide. He even makes it when he's in my lap. Hmm.. 😕

I let him out for a few minutes in my closet. This guy that I watch all the time, said that it's a great way to bond. It seems to be working really well! He jumps all over me like I'm not even there. When he hears any sound, even if it's me, he runs behind my back and waits to come out until I pet him and tell him it's ok.😂
Just make sure you keep the playtime very short, like only about 5 minutes or so and not everyday. Playtime is a great way to bond but kits can easily over do it so it's best to stick with just bonding with them mostly in the cage or holding them until they are around 6 months old. It doesn't happen to every kit but they can't regulate their body temp as well as adults as well as they can't regulate their blood sugar as well, so they can quickly over heat even in a cool room, and can have a dangerous drop in blood sugar causing seizures, coma, and death. Watch for any signs of him getting tired or warm.

The funny thing is that he makes this sound when he is out of his cage, he looks like he's looking for something? They said that it means he's calm but he looks like he is looking maybe for a place to hide. He even makes it when he's in my lap. Hmm.. 😕
That sounds like chatting, my guys to that to each other, and to me, especially when exploring new things. Kind of like "oh what is over here?" "what is this?" "did you know about this over here". Basically he is talking to you. :)

Just make sure you keep the playtime very short, like only about 5 minutes or so and not everyday. Playtime is a great way to bond but kits can easily over do it so it's best to stick with just bonding with them mostly in the cage or holding them until they are around 6 months old. It doesn't happen to every kit but they can't regulate their body temp as well as adults as well as they can't regulate their blood sugar as well, so they can quickly over heat even in a cool room, and can have a dangerous drop in blood sugar causing seizures, coma, and death. Watch for any signs of him getting tired or warm.

That sounds like chatting, my guys to that to each other, and to me, especially when exploring new things. Kind of like "oh what is over here?" "what is this?" "did you know about this over here". Basically he is talking to you. :)
I will. I really didn't have him out for long at all. Probably around 5 minuites, maybe 10 at the most, I didn't have a stopwatch or anything so idk the exact time but it certainly wasn't long.

Oh, that's good to hear! I was afraid he was upset or something. I almost put him up when he did that but then he started jumping all over me like I said, so I didn't.😊 is it normal for him to hide behind me when he hears any loud sound? I mean, even when it's me that make the loud noise,he still goes behind my back. Does he know it's me?

I set most of his toys out yesterday when I got him out, he didn't really even notice them! Why didn't he touch him? When I give him toys while he's in his cage, he grabs them from my hand and takes them to his hideout but never chews alot on them. He did chew the seagrass ropes all to pieces but the most of the others he pretty much just nibbles on them once or twice, then throws them down and runs off. Maybe he thinks the seagrass ropen are hay? He did kinda like the palm flower. Is it because he's new or does he just not like them? He loved the willow sticks! He seems to not like anything colored. Which is kinda heartbreaking to me because I was super exited to be getting him colored toys from chinvilla!😂 He's a little stinker.😁

Attachments

• 20210419_093621-1.jpg
    20210419_093621-1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He did chew a good bit on those palm shredders. He always tries to chew on the broom when I sweep his cage, I thought he might like this. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210419_093621-1.jpg
    20210419_093621-1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Do you know where I could get those tassels? Just the tassels so I could home-make the garland? What did they use to tie them? They didn't say...

Back