Possible tooth worry, not eating hay/chewing, slow eating/drooling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debo326

Will is about 9 years old, and has recently altogether stopped chewing toys and stopped eating hay. He has been eating his regular food, but very slowly, and drools. Eating the occasional raisin is also a slow process, with drooling. He's been more friendly too lately, coming up to the cage for attention when I'm walking by, more comfortable being held, etc. He seems generally happy as far as I can tell, but so did our other chin Jack until he stopped opening his eyes because of ingrown tooth roots 2 years ago. We took Jack to the vet, discussed our options, and based on multiple factors, decided to have him euthanized. I'm guessing a vet trip is called for here, but does anybody have any thoughts or advice aside from that?

It very likely is teeth related, but could be molar points, and not root growth. You will need a vet visit to find out. That is around the age both of mine started developing teeth issues too.

Without taking him to the vet it's pretty impossible to tell what could be causing it. It is clearly something wrong in the mouth, but aside from possible malo it could be something more minor and treatable, like an absess or sore in this mouth, a chipped tooth, over grown teeth that just need to be trimmed, tooth spur, or something caught in his teeth.

Although lava/pumice chews are great for the front teeth they don't help if the issue is the molars, since they only chew on them with their incisors. The only thing that wears down the molars is eating hay because they grind it down with their molars, and ideally long strand hay since it requires more chewing.

On a side note, the second video looks like it's a calcium chew, which are not chin safe.

Back