Possible tooth issue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikaia

Gonna keck your butt ;)
Hi all,

I wanted to see what you guys thought of this. Tia is going to be 3 years old this October (really hard to believe!) and I've noticed a few symptoms with her. The first thing I noticed started about 6-8 months ago (maybe more but not more than a year). She started to eat her treats slower than Chichi and Tribble. Both of them gobble up their treats in an instant it seems. The treats I usually feed are staceylwolf's cookies, rosehips and rosebuds.

Tia still chews sticks and other toys with the same vigor she always has. I don't believe she has dropped weight. I haven't been keeping weight as I should be :( but I'm going to start doing that. She looks the same size with a healthy round shape.

Another thing I've noticed is some crumbs around the food bowl. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's from Tia, but it just worries me. They are not always there though. She doesn't have any drool and her eyes are not watering.

What do you guys think? Should I just start monitoring weights and keep an eye out? Could this be the start of something or am I being paranoid?

I would start checking weight weekly and keep track of it for awhile, it may or not be a initial symptom-I made a couple of old videos of a malo chin eating a treat and a normal chin-the malo chin took 1min 4 seconds to eat it, the normal chin took 13 seconds.

Thank you, Dawn. I will definitely start monitoring weights. If her weight stays steady and she doesn't display any other symptoms, would you say she is probably okay?

If her weight stays the same and you don't see any worsening or new symptoms I would say she's probably ok. Obviously if there is any doubt getting xrays done is the best path.

My opinion on x-rays just to check to erase doubt is not a great idea without symptoms that are concrete-there is a risk when being put under that the chin can die.

:hmm: Hmmm, Dale eats his treats much slower than the other boys. Now you have me worried about him. I did check his weight the other day and he was up 8 grams from about 2 months ago. I'm going to have to keep an eye on his eating habits, he's a hay hog for sure, not sure about his pellet eating.

I weighed them last night and Tia is actually the biggest of the three. She is 725 g, with Tribble being 705 and Chichi (mom) is the smallest at 559. She has always been small though. Their dad must have been a big boy..lol. I will keep monitoring!

Back