possible seizure?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbt622

Crazy Chin Lady!
Hi guys! haven't posted in while, but felt I could use some guidance after this incident.

My oldest chin Liv is going on 4 years old and has always been healthy. They usually get a fairly long playtime every other night (30-40 minutes) and a shredded wheat treat afterwards. I noticed yesterday and today that there were some slightly soft poops in their cage (Liv, Ace and Milo)... not diarrhea or easily squish-able but not completely hard. so I was giving them activated charcoal on their shredded wheat which they took well. Tonight after playtime Liv ran like crazy on his wheel and then stopped and wouldn't take a wheat (very strange for him!) He then laid flat suddenly on his ledge. My boyfriend picked him up and Liv collapsed into his lap. His whiskers were moving very fast like he was shaking. He lifted his head with his eyes closed and showed his teeth. Derek said he was clenching his right paw. After about a minute he went to jump out of Derek's lap and took a cheerio. He is now alert and sitting on his ledge. He seems a little out of it still but normal energy level and eating his hay as we speak. I plan to take him to the vet in the morning if you guys think this is anything other than a low blood sugar seizure, which I read about and seems like a possibility. Should i take him to an emergency clinic? Does it sound bad?

Sounds like a seizure to me, I would give the chin the shredded wheat with a dab of karo syrup or honey on it prior to playtime rather than after. If it happens again take a video of it to show the vet, different types of seizures present different symptoms.

Back