Possible bloat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo2021

Hi my 1 year old chinchilla has today started to stretch and press himself against the floor in his cage, he’s still eating drinking and pooing as normal, usually when he wakes up he’ll do a stretch but he’s doing it a lot now, when he’s been out for his run around he’s still perfectly happy and running and jumping but it’s only in his cage he’s stretch and bending a lot! Any ideas?

My little girl has been doing this alot lately too. If he doesn't seem like he's stressed in any way or showing other symptoms of bloat, (lethargic, pooping significantly less or not at all, has a hard, extended stomach etc.) then he may just be becoming comfortable enough around you to stretch and rest in weird positions. If he's still acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.😉

If you do think that it is more than that, try infant gas drops. I've heard those work wonders for chins.❤️

Just doing a quick Google search on chinchilla bloat symptoms...
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Hard, swollen belly.
  • Pressing belly against floor of her cage.
  • Stretching out.
  • Walking with “army crawl”
  • Breathing rapidly.
  • Standing with rear in the air.
  • Rolling from side to side.
  • Lying on side
  • Stomach gurgling
  • Sitting in hunched-over position
  • Small feces, if produced at all
  • Grinding teeth
  • Reluctance to move
  • Diarrhea

Last edited:
My little girl has been doing this alot lately too. If he doesn't seem like he's stressed in any way or showing other symptoms of bloat, (lethargic, pooping significantly less or not at all, has a hard, extended stomach etc.) then he may just be becoming comfortable enough around you to stretch and rest in weird positions. If he's still acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.😉

If you do think that it is more than that, try infant gas drops. I've heard those work wonders for chins.❤️

Just doing a quick Google search on chinchilla bloat symptoms...
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Hard, swollen belly.
  • Pressing belly against floor of her cage.
  • Stretching out.
  • Walking with “army crawl”
  • Breathing rapidly.
  • Standing with rear in the air.
  • Rolling from side to side.
  • Lying on side
  • Stomach gurgling
  • Sitting in hunched-over position
  • Small feces, if produced at all
  • Grinding teeth
  • Reluctance to move
  • Diarrhea
Thankyou for that! He seems to of stopped the next day so maybe he just had a little gas and worked it out of him😂 but he’s back to him weird self😂

Back