Portable coolbox idea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla22752

Hi
I have an idea and would like to know what you think. In a attempt to cool down my chins even more. If I buy a portable box cooler, as one attached. And I cut its one side open and fix it to a bigger insulated box with entrance. So it will offer them a "cooling" box where they can go if the heat gets too much. The coolbox is relatively cheap compared to a water cooler. Even thinking to hook it up to a solar battery which I already have. What do you think about this idea?
Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-134718_takealot.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127-134718_takealot.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
I don't know enough about electronics generally or those cool boxes to be able to comment on how well this would work in practice, but I think that so long as the coolbox didn't burn out, it might work. You might want to consider lining the inside with fleece or something so they won't chew it. Would the whole thing be inside their cage? If so, them chewing the outside could also become an issue, especially if they managed to expose some wires or something, so just make sure you consider that.

The other potential issue I see is that the chins may not enter the box on their own when they need to cool down. From what I've read, not all chins seem to know when they're overheating, and not all of them will alter their behaviour to cool down.

Do you have AC, and this would just be for additional cooling? Or were you hoping to use this as a substitute for AC? I don't think the coolbox would be a viable alternative to use instead of AC, but it might be workable to use in addition to AC on a really hot day, or to have on-hand as a backup to use temporarily if the AC goes out for a little while. But that's only if a) you can make it chew-safe, and b) they actually go inside the box.

Also, does the coolbox put out any heat while it's running? I know the inside is cooled, but if the outside heats up while it's running, then it may end up doing more harm than good. Just something to consider.

Back