Portable AC Safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

We acquired a portable AC. They thought about using it for my room since its the hottest and the central air does a decent job in every room but mine. I had put a window AC in the chin room (just in case it was hot for them and they didn't have the central ac on) But there is only one window in that room, which means there is no fresh air to circulate in.

So i was thinking about using the portable one for the chin room if it was ever needed. That way i could take the window unit out and get some fresh air in there.

But i was reading about how this unit works yesterday and i was wondering about the water.

symMMB10-1.jpg

MMB10 Mobile Mastercool 3426

Apparently you have to fill the bottom with water. The unit sucks air in from the side and uses the water to cool it. But the air comes in through the sides to a cardboard like filter that removes the moisture from it. (something like that) The water itself on the bottom evaporates as its used.

Is it ok having that water evaporation in the room? To much and i would imagine it could condincate on the chins or something. Or maybe a dehumidifier? - Never had to deal with a unit like this before.

I dont think it would be a huge issue. Without looking into how they work more, it sound like the cardboard filter de-moisturizes the air and then the air picks up water which cools it. I would imagine it's not supersaturating the air with water or anything though. If you use it in your room and nothing seems to get condensation on it, I'd say it's fine. To be safe there's a $12 gadget I picked up at Walmart that gives you a humidity % as well as two temperature readings (one sensor is at the end of a long cord and can be put outside). I use mine to monitor Yuki's room constantly because I'm a worry-wort. It's just battery powered and is a nice peace-of-mind thing. You could get on for you chins, and even test out the AC in your room first. Turn on the gadget first to see temp and humidity, then run the AC and see how much everything changes.

that's a good idea. Something i should have thought of. My mind seems to be really off lately. I already have little square/rectangle digital thermostats that also show humidity level. So i can moniture that in my room for a bit to see. Of course i better hope it doesn't cause moisture because theirs a lot of electronic items in here.

Right now im just waiting for the replacement filters i ordered to get here. Once they are installed i can test it out.

My Portable Air Conditioner which I bought 3 years ago is perfect for my room. It works fine for me and I never had problem with it.

I have had one of those. We used to cool a garage with it. It is called a swamp cooler and it will make the humidity in the room go up significantly. If you are in a very dry area, like a desert, it could be ok. Otherwise, I would not use it as a room unit. It's just way too much humidity for chinchillas. If this one is like mine, and it looks just like it, you attach a hose to i to keep water in it.

Back