Poop smell

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzziehead

Hi everyone

I know this is a topic that has been discussed before but I didn’t come across a direct answer. About 2.5 weeks ago my chinchilla Marlo had 1 cluster of really smelly poos. As soon as I picked her up I could smell it and realized it was coming from one pile of poo. Being a crazy chin mom I have now been smelling all of her poo! None of them for 2.5 weeks have smelled like that since. It was just one cluster that one day. They all have a very slight smell but only when my nose is literally almost against her poo and only if it’s fresh poo. So my question is.. is chinchilla poo really completely odorless even if your nose is against fresh poo?! She was taken to our exotic vet and fecal tests were done. Nothing was found. She was placed on a week of Flagyl because he said 1 does wouldn’t hurt. Its 4 days after she’s finished the dose and her poo still smells the same! But again, only if literally put my nose up to it and it’s within minutes of her pooping. She is 100% normal in behavior, eating, drinking and eating. Her poos even look normal. So is this a normal smell and I’ve just never smelled her poo before?

shes 8 years old and only eats oxbow pellets and oxbow Timothy/meadow mix hay

thank you!
Michelle

Back