Poop Size?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheri7

In the last few days my chin Jezebel's poop seems to have doubled in size. Her poops are way bigger than they have been for the last 7 weeks since I got her.

I haven't been feeding her anything different (Mazuri pellets, Oxbow Timothy hay and a little bit of oats every few days). The only thing is that I was getting down to the bottom of the hay bag and they didn't seem to be eating it much. I just got a fresh bag and they ate a ton of it last night.

Would just eating pellets and no hay for a few days cause the poops to be larger? My other chin Anabel hasn't changed (hers have always been smaller than Jez's)

Should I be concerned? They are still firm.

Thanks

Puddles' poo varies in size quite often. If I look in her cage now, she has some small, medium, and large. Maybe it depends on the time of day and when they last ate and how much...kind of like humans I guess. :)

As long as they are firm and not wet or mucousy or odd shaped, I wouldn't worry. :)

Small poops can also be caused be stress. She might finally be settling into your home, therefore... larger poops! Depending how old she is too, might have something to do with it. If you got her when she was younger, and littler... Well, she could've gotten bigger, and her poops therefore too :p

I think that all the factors that everyone mentioned above could have something to do with it.

Personally, I know that Ralph's poos are small and dry during the day, and then in the evening and at night when he's eating more and bouncing around, they're what people would consider normal for a chin.

Oh lord, don't even say that!! I am quite sure they are both female....at least I was told they were mother and daughter....and I haven't seen any "appendages". LOL

As long as they aren't mushy or bright green, then you should be fine :D

Externally, there is little difference between a male and a female, as males keep most of their penis internally and females have a genital cone, most people need a little training to sex them, and it is not uncommon for 20+ year ranchers to make a mistake every once in a while. Not trying to freak you out, but it is a possibility no matter how slight and might be worth confirming the sex of the "daughter".

Oh lord, don't even say that!! I am quite sure they are both female....at least I was told they were mother and daughter....and I haven't seen any "appendages". LOL

My chins poops change in size all day everyday. Just depends on that load I guess hahaha...

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are stil concerned just keep an eye on the color and consistancy of them...:thumbs:

I would double check the sexing like studly suggested and if that pans out ok, then I would really worry if you are not seeing any other signs. I've had new ones come in with the same issue. It was just a matter of settling in and getting things back on track, so to speak.

Back