poop issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

I adopted a rescue about a week ago and am now seeing some issues with his poop. The rescue noted that he had been constipated and some of his poops fit the definition - pinched off ends. However, he has been having some very large poops lately. One of them was slightly soft tonight, but not liquid. I've tried adding Lifeline to his food to help the transition from his old food to the new, but he won't eat his food with the Lifeline sprinkled in. It is possible that I've been adding a bit too much of the new food.

Is there anything else I can do to help balance things out in his gut? Acidophilus?

If you're not going to use the Lifeline, I would go ahead and use the acidophilus... it could very well help his GI tract adjust. What feeds are you transitioning to/from? Unless you're transitioning from a bad feed or don't have much of it, you could certainly slow it down. Ideally you'd probably want to start with a 25-75 or 20-80 mix for at least another week... maybe even less if he's having a hard time as you've mentioned. Congrats and good luck with your new little guy!

If you're not going to use the Lifeline, I would go ahead and use the acidophilus... it could very well help his GI tract adjust. What feeds are you transitioning to/from? !

From Nutrena to a 50/50 mix of Mazuri and PANR. I have used the Lifeline, but he seems to know when I've sprinkled it in his food and won't eat it. I'll give the acidophilus a go, but I'm wondering if he'll be able to taste that as well and not eat it.

We've had better luck with sprinkling acidophilus rather than lifeline... I think it's more tasteless. I don't know much about the quality of Nutrena, but I doubt he needs to be switched cold turkey. He probably just needs some time for his gut to adjust, so just keep with the gradual switch and probios and he'll probably clear up unless there are other underlying issues. Good luck!

I might be wrong, but I thought that a raisin (maybe half seeing as they are bad for chins) are good when a chin isn't pooping...

any thoughts???

Our chins have had no problem with the acidophilus sprinkled in. If yours is picky though, you can try the chewable tablets. I have heard that some chins like the strawberry flavor ones.

I might be wrong, but I thought that a raisin (maybe half seeing as they are bad for chins) are good when a chin isn't pooping...

any thoughts???

A raisin isn't going to help anything in the gut move. It's just going to add unnecessary sugar to the chin's system. You need to give them something (ie LifeLine, acidophilus, simethicone) to help break up the mass/gas so the chin's gut can take care of things like normal.

A raisin isn't going to help anything in the gut move. It's just going to add unnecessary sugar to the chin's system. You need to give them something (ie LifeLine, acidophilus, simethicone) to help break up the mass/gas so the chin's gut can take care of things like normal.

I know that raisins are not good for chins, I just swore that I had read back on C-N-Q that a raisin can help with constipation...

sorry for the confusion

There is some talk that raisins will stimulate eating. it is also said that an almond or peanut can keep things moving. Not given regulary but once in a great while. but neither will get the gut moving if it has stopped. the saafest thing to do is to use acidophilus regularly. the larger poop is better than constipation but not if it gets to the point of squishy.
I would give extra hay the toughage will be good for him. and if the poops get any softer pull the pellets and give just hay for 24 hours then start the pellets back but slow down the transition to new food.

Sadie, my girl, used to have problems with her poo. I straightened it out by giving her Acidophilus and putting her on Oxbow. For some reason, I think the Mazuri upset her stomach. She was much better and happier once I made the switch. She also doesn't take well to coloured wood. She has a rather sensitive stomach, but all is well now. Maybe there is something in your chin's environment that is upsetting his belly?

Back