Poop and Roomba?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chub_Chub

LOL.. So related to the "poop control and FN" thread... Has anyone tried a Roomba for their poop control? I'm tempted to get one of their "Pet" models:
http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B001I9024G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261688918&sr=8-1

I heard from a friend that the original Roomba couldn't handle pet hair, mess, etc and frequently broke due to it. Since the Roomba has been around for a while, I was wondering if anyone tried it for chin mess? The only problem I can think of is long pieces of hay, or large clumps of bedding.. or dropped toys now that I think further.. :impatient: The poops seem like they would be a piece of cake for the Roomba!

Our roomba is pro at cleaning poo. After we clean the cage we turn roomba on and she cleans any poop we may have missed. Of course we don't use it for hay or that but if it's just poop and a few pellets, it works.

Im not really sure, but the normal roomba i have gets some stuff done, but is on its charging rack in around 20 minutes. Maybe we got the lazy kind.

Thanks for answering, I just knew SOMEONE had to have tried it! It sounds like it might be worth the investment, the chins are expert poo flingers and I know there are places the Roomba can go that I don't want to deal with daily (like under the bed).

No Roomba here and I don't vacuum poops either, I have to sweep as many as I can get and put them all in a bag b/c my husband uses every one of them along with the old hay and shavings in his compost pile outside. We have some very nice soil these days. It's like living with Ed around here. lol.

Yeah roomba is worth every penny I promise. We haven't used a large vaccum in months. We set it to run every morning at 8 when everyone has left for the day and we we get back it's done its job well.

To add we've only had one problem with it where it wasn't spinning the brush anymore, Jeremy emailed customer service and they sent a new piece no questions asked free of charger. I may have just been an old fault in that model but they immedately sent a new piece.

I have the "shop vac" model of the roomba and it does fine. I want to get the home base with the timer so it will just go on its own and I don't even have to worry about it.

We have a roomba but I feel more thorough by sweeping the chin room. It doesn't pick up the larger hay and wood shaving pieces.

How much does the shop vac version hold? I wonder if I could use something like that...and does it pick up hay?

I haven't seen a Shop Vac version.. I have seen the "professional" series one:
http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-610-Roomba-Professional-Series/dp/B001I9024Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262630277&sr=8-5

and a "floor vac" version:
http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-Intelligent-Floorvac-Robotic/dp/B00022HYIM/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262630505&sr=8-17

The iRobot website doesn't specifically say what the dirt bin capacity is, but the "professional" model has a "high capacity sweeper bin" accessory that holds "3 times more" than the standard bins..;)

I'm not sure if it would matter if it can hold 10 times as much! In the chin rooms it can be a blizzard of hay falling from the cages at night. :D For $560 I could buy a few really nice shop vacs... :D

I have a really cheap rip off version of the roomba - that thing can barely keep up with the dust and fur that ends up in the kitchen. I don't even know where I put the thing...it ended up being less work just sweeping up the kitchen and vacuuming the carpets everyday. That thing would zip along for a few minutes and then get stuck somewhere and I would have to come along and rescue it...

Back