Poo Poo Platter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishsk8r66

I have been finding a lot of poop in my little guy's hay bowl and pellet bowls....I am worried that if he eats food that has poop in it he will get sick, so I go through it every night and try to pick it all out. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions on how to keep the poop out and if I'm being crazy for picking it out. I don't mind, but I end up throwing out a lot of, otherwise good food and I feel like I'm wasting it. Thanks so much!
Maura

Chins will not get sick from eating their poo. It is a normal (although admittedly gross) behavior. You can pick the poo out if you want. I generally toss whatever pellets they don't eat in a day and put fresh in their bowl anyway, so poo picking is not an issue here.

Yeah, I find a few poos in my chins food. No biggie. They do eat their own poo at times. YUM! LOL. I caught Tia doing it and I was a bit alarmed until I found out it was completely normal and necessary! :)

Thank you so much! Although I may seem crazy I just want to make sure he's going to be ok. lol. Right now I keep his food bowl full at all times to I try not to throw out too much since he's not quite a year yet, but obviously I will start monitoring how much he's eating and I will be able to get him more fresh food in there. Thank you so much and I;m glad to know its normal and I'm crazy. lol
Maura

My chins eat poop all day long and leave poops all night long. I don't know how many they eat in a day, but it's a lot.

Yeah, as stated before, they are autocoprophages....so they actually eat their own poop in order to get further nutrients and reuse beneficial bacteria. So long as they're dry poops, dont worry about it, its gonna get in the pellet and hay containers somehow...

Back