Points, Spurs, and even occlusal surface

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: 4 days later and she ate some alfalfa leaves on her own, though still won't eat other hays and not eating pellets. She is back to grooming the back of my hands (ouch!) which I did miss. Eyes still water a little bit.

I'm encouraged by those two changes. Keeping fingers crossed.

I posted the story of my chinchilla who went through somewhat the same ordeal, still waiting on admin. to approve thread once they do please read....I named it Rasta's Story (or something similar). Hope Bella recovers 100%.

We're up 25g and she ate a piece of hay! I had to hand it to her, but she took it!

Now if only she'd go to the hay on her own.
There's evidence of pellet eating too. I'm so relieved, this is so stressful.
Still crossing fingers!

Thanks Josh- I hope you are able to get your chinnies teeth sorted out in less vet visits than mine.

Still not eating Timothy on her own, I have to pick just the right piece of hay to get her to eat. Eating pellets, eating leafy part of alfalfa, wolfing down cc.
I've just finished the tramadol I had for her, and am going to start weaning off of the Metacam.
Still not much interest in sticks and a small amount of discharge from her eyes. Any reason to think she could benefit from staying on the tramadol/ Metacam?

She's up to 669g now, after getting down to 618.

IMO, if she is just starting to eat on her own and if this was my chin I would keep her on it until she is eating a full ration of food a day, metecam can be used up to around 20 days without potential issues, if it goes longer its a good idea to give the chin pepcid to prevent ulcerations in the digestive tract, I have given metecam and tramadol together for years using the pepcid with no obvious issues.

Follow up: for the first few years I after I started this thread, I had to get her molars trimmed about every six months. Last year there was some root elongation, but the vet said we could continue with her trims for now. At one point she did go back to eating hay for about a year and a half.
In September of last year she developed arthritis and I had to move all her shelves closer together as it was getting difficult for her to make jumps.

Last Friday, May 1, at the age of est. 16 I said goodbye to my sweet Bella.

Follow up: for the first few years I after I started this thread, I had to get her molars trimmed about every six months. Last year there was some root elongation, but the vet said we could continue with her trims for now. At one point she did go back to eating hay for about a year and a half.
In September of last year she developed arthritis and I had to move all her shelves closer together as it was getting difficult for her to make jumps.

Last Friday, May 1, at the age of est. 16 I said goodbye to my sweet Bella.
I am so sorry to hear of your losing Bella💔😔.

Back