pneumonia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadebf700

I have a two part question. 1. Has anyone had a chin come back from pneumonia? 2. When do you make the decision to end suffering? He didn't eat today. I tried force feeding him and it say in his mouth until it dribbled out. His breathing is really labored. He doesn't move and is pretty unresponsive. Just trying to come to terms with what I think I need to do. He spent yesterday on oxygen and with iv fluids but seems worse today. Also on Baytril and some eye drips. Had injectable Baytril yesterday. Thoughts?

Jess, I have no words of wisdom. You and Buddy will be in my prayers tonight. I know how much he means to you.

With a chronic illness...it's easier to make the decision because it's quality of life. When it's a short illness, or a "fixable" illness we always find ourselves asking "what if". What if I'd tried harder, what if he'd pulled through...what if. To tell you the truth, I haven't seen many make it through...but I HAVE seen them make it. It's rare...really it is IMO. But, if the chin has fight and you're willing to fight with him...he COULD make it. Sorry to make your decision harder. Pneumonia isn't fun. My first year in chins I lost two pets to it :( prayers for you to KNOW what to do, and for your little chin.

I was talking to my Aunt and I liked her response. If you are wondering if it is time, it is probably time. He was refusing food and wouldn't move. His breathing was so labored. I talked to the vet who said his lungs were still really harsh and that even if they threw all they had at him, he probably wouldn't make it. My mom came with me and I got to hold and cuddle him the entire time. I hope he knew that we loved him very much and that we tried.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could do for him to live a happy and healthy life.

I'm so sorry, Jess. Call me if you need anything. I'm here for you. RIP sweet Buddy.

Thanks everyone! I knew it was the right thing to do. They gave him the sedative and I couldn't tell the difference in his activity. He was pretty much gone anyways. Sucks but I know where he is waiting for me.

Back