PLEASE HELP! Possible broken leg?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you bring your chin in to the vet? How is he/she doing?

My husband took Carmie to the vet tonight, and thankfully nothing was broken or twisted. She had a sore on her middle toe between the middle and "ring" toe (sorry, I don't know any other way to describe it), and the sore had some sort of stone or big piece of dirt in it. Doc cleaned it out, used liquid bandage to close it up, and gave us antibiotics to fight any infection she might have gotten because of it. She is bouncing around just as happy as can be now, but does anyone have advice on how to give chins liquid oral medication? I'm afraid I'll get more on her than in her...

Thank you to everyone who kept us in your thoughts! Hopefully she'll stay a happy, healthy chinnie!! :)

Glad nothing's broken. :) If you're lucky, your chin will like the taste of the meds and want to take it straight from the syringe. If not, you may need to burrito her in a towel and give it to her that way.

Oh I'm so glad there's no break!

Just hold Carmie with your left hand, her butt on the table, up against your chest (you sitting in chair at table) Put your thumb and forefinger at her chin, stablizing her head with the back of your hand. Get a small TB syringe, if it'll hold the dose needed. Just put the tip into Carmie's mouth, when your sure it's in her mouth, squirt alittle in. She should lick and swallow. She might squirm, but keep trying. If you just can't manage it that way, burrito her as previously mentioned. Get a small kitchen towel and wrap her gently but firmly, with her hands inside. Then do the same with the syringe.

Let us know how it goes!

That's great news! As far as the antibiotics, as mentioned, she may like them if they added flavor at the vet. I don't know what they put in it at Tufts, but I swear Kokomo was addicted to the stuff... every time he saw us bring it over, he'd dash to the front of the cage asking "pleeeeeeease give me the 'treat'!!!" Otherwise, as Puddles&Chubbs said, you may have to wrap her in a towel to burrito her... just be gentle but firm with her. If it's Baytril (enrofloxacin), there is a chance she will lose her appetite, so you will definitely want to watch her weight. Hopefully that won't happen, but if so, you can force feed Critical Care to make sure she's getting enough nutrition... we can help you through that too :) I'm so glad to hear she's doing well and we'll be sending wishes for a speedy recovery!

Make sure you put the syringe in her mouth from the side, behind her inscisors. There is a natural opening there and I believe it's better for them so they will not choke on the antibiotics.

Good luck!

ZZ loved his antibiotics and begged for them when he saw me with them. He loved the benebac too.

What antibiotic did your vet give you? Do you have any probiotic?

She's usually good with the first .1cc of it, then she gets a little cranky. This morning I tricked her by putting the meds on a cheerio and giving it to her. She ate it, but she had an angry look on her little chin face about it...

Im glad!!!!! lol see i knew she didnt like that foot lol jk!

Jenny, do you have any acidophilus(probiotic)? She will need it--the antibiotic will destroy the good bacteria in her system along with the bad. You need to give acidophilus halfway between her antibiotic doses. :)

I agree with the probiotic suggestions. I once bought a chin that refused to eat. The vet put her on antibiotics and plain yogurt. You have to space out the yogurt so that its given at half intervals. For example, if you are giving Baytril 2x a day at 12am and 12pm, you should give the yogurt at 6am and 6pm. If the antibiotic that she was prescribed is Baytril, you will also want to watch her food and water intake very closely. Baytril tastes so bitter and upsets the tummy so much that it causes anorexia.

I am so happy to hear that there are no broken bones. A sore foot is definitely a better diagnosis as to why she wasn't using her leg. Thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck with the antibiotics. I had a very hard time trying to give antibiotics to a cockatiel and can't imagine trying to get my chin to take her medicine - she is very strong-willed!

I agree with the probiotic suggestions. I once bought a chin that refused to eat. The vet put her on antibiotics and plain yogurt.
Probiotics are good, but yogurt isn't a good way to get them into chins. Chins should not be eating dairy products. You can pick up acidophillus (probiotics) at any health food store. Tucker loves his acidophillus dissolved into some water and given via syringe.

Probiotics should be given no closer than 2 hours to the antibiotics. So 2 hours before or after meds is fine.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet.

Just wanted to let you know that, I had 2 baby chins that broke their legs years ago (now I only use solid surface wheels) and one of them had it's leg set with a little cast and it DID heal up just fine (the vet used little pins and all, she did a great job). The other baby had it's leg set and it didn't heal right and had to be amputated. A chin will do just fine with 3 legs. It might not be broken, but vet should take a look at it.

Hope I helped,
Cindy

OK, just finished reading the thread.
Glad to hear it wasn't broke and it's doing good:)

Cindy

Back