PLEASE HELP! Possible broken leg?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will do what is best for Carmie in the long run. It sounds to me that if her leg is broken, amputation would be the best course of action. I had "special" gerbils when I was younger: two only had three full legs between them, and they got around just fine.

She's still eating and drinking, so I think stress is staying low. We'll see what the vet says and how she's doing tomorrow. Some of our pets have a habit of waiting for us to make an appointment, then miraculously getting well... I hope this is the case with Carmie!

My Weeko fell and needed xrays, favored her right back leg. They took two views. She didn't need anesthesia. She can be squirmy, but I think it's the experience and skill of the vet tech/xray tech. They got good pics just holding her. It cost about $150. Her leg was fine, she had broken her pelvis in three places. We did pain med for two weeks, and cage rest for six weeks. Now she's fine! Thank God!! :clap1:

Hi Jennybug,

My wee Kiwi had her left arm amputated last year - it was a compound fracture and her arm was basically dangling by a bit of flesh - she still walked on it and had no reaction to my touching it, because she was likely in shock. We had to go the ER route, obviously, and my total was right around $750.

If your chin requires pain meds, and you think you can handle giving shots, go with injectible baytril - oral tends to cause anorexia which will cause other problems for your chin and you.

Kiwi healed just fine, and she runs faster and jumps more and higher than my other chin, Bella, who has all her arms and legs. For a recent video of poor little "handicapped" Kiwi :SarcasmOn: go here: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250
good luck and I hope it's nothing!

Oh, and don't be offended by Hedgemom - she has a wealth of info, she just doesn't mince words.

Last edited:
Carmen goes to see the bet at 6:45 tonight. I know that's not optimal time-wise, but she's eating just fine, drinking water, and still allowing us to pet and brush her, so the doc said she would be okay until tonight. Doc thinks it could be anything from a twist to a break, so we'll have to see. My husband and I decided that if it is a break, we are going to amputate (it seems like it will be the easiest on all parties involved.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support!

It's definitely a good sign that she's still eating and drinking - at the very least she won't go into GI stasis. If you don't have a scale, you might want to look into getting one (just a small kitchen one that does grams)... you'll want to be watching her through this whole process to make sure she's not losing weight. Best of luck at the vet tonight and let us know how it turns out!

Hope everything at the vet goes well- keep us posted please!

Well, my husband and I are reaching an impasse with regards to how we're going to approach the situation. I'm for amputating if the leg is broken, and he is really wanting to have surgery and pins and try to fix it. I'm hoping he'll ask for my input after he talks to the vet. Wish I could go and be with her :(

Often 'fixing' the leg does not work and then you have to amputate anyway. So you will have the cost of trying to fix the leg and if it doen's work the cost of the amputation
Plus the chin is in much more pain, when you try to fix it As far as cost, that depends on the area of the country you are in - In the NY, CT and NJ area costs are more than double (sometime triple) than the west PA, upper NY or mid-west area

I just hope you have a good, knowledgeable vet concerning chinchillas. See if it is broken - what kind and type of break and what the vet recommends. (I would ask the vet questions to feel out how experienced he/she is with chinnies.) Good Luck! Hopefully it's just a sprain. :)

I would just get the leg amputated, as stated pins and setting the bone most often do not work and if you go that route you run the risk of having to pay even more...because if it does not work, you will have to get it amputated anyway.

Where in IN are you located? I'm in South Eastern myself and know of a few vets that are very good with chins. Maybe I could point you in the right direction.

What a nightmare. I sure hope it turns out not to be a break but it seems like that usually is the case when they are not using their leg - so I've read anyway. Make sure you have x-rays taken, as that is the only way to know for sure. I'm wishing you the best!

the dr appt is coming up!!! i hope she is fine and that there will be no amputating or any surgerys hopefully she just didnt like that paw and decided she didnt wanna use it for a day or two :) thats what im hopeing

Haha, me too, Cola, me too. Stackie, I live near Milan, IN. She's going to see a vet at Dr. Hubbard's office at the Bright Veterinary Clinic.

im almost positive she doesnt like her leg!!! yep i think thats the problem. Seriously though good luck how many more hours now?

She goes at 6:45, and it's 3:42 where I am right now :(
... in other words, too long!

She goes at 6:45, and it's 3:42 where I am right now :(
... in other words, too long!

i agree maybe tell him to go in early so that maybe if they get done with other patients your chin can be seen sooner

Good luck. My Bambi hurt her leg a couple of months ago. Luckily for her (and us), she just sprained it. I hope you have similar or better luck.

Back