Please help! Need advice!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
Yesterday morning I noticed Stolie acting a bit off. I put him in my smaller cage on paper towels to monitor him and called my vet to make an appointment. She said the earliest she could get us in would be today after three. Wed is usually their surgery day but they could open a spot for me.

So this morning I checked on him (he was still a bit grogy looking last night but all major signs okay) and something is wrong. All of a sudden he had drool (not a lot but enough to notice) and seems almost sleepy. I called my vet as soon as they opened and she said she could get him in at 10 today. I'm at work right now and left him home in the carrier, but my sister is picking him up to watch him till she can bring him to the vet, becuase the earliest I can get out would be 1:30.

He's about 11 and came from a terrible living situation. When I got him his health was barely existant. A few weeks ago I noticed him chewing strangely and took him in-got xrays done and everything was fine-even checked his teeth to make sure nothing was stuck.

Anyone have ideas or advice? I'm so worried, he just seemed to fall so fast so quickly. I know that a lot of times with chins you don't know something is wrong until it's too late, but I can't help but feel like I should have done something more :cry3:

Is the vet experienced with chins? Do you have a copy of the xrays you could post?

Sounds like a chewing/tooth problem to me, but second I'd think something with his digestive system. Has he been eating?

I don't have the xrays on me-I'm at work. The vet who is seeing him today is pretty experienced with chins-she's seen all 4 of my pets and a bunch of the rescues I've worked with.

I thought it was a tooth problem, but like I said I got that checked a few weeks ago (maybe a month or three weeks). I'm hoping it isn't digestive...he ate a little bit yesterday, but not much. I'm worried it's digestive seeing as he's almost acting lathargic (sp?). I have critical care that I gave him last night because I was worried about him not eating-his urine was fine and he's been drinking.

If it's digestive, what do you think it could be? I've had chins get sick before but never like this so quickly...I'm so worried...

Back