Please help I don’t know what to do and anxious to talk to vet in the AM

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriellieee

Hi, I have a chinchilla, his name is Artie McFly (Artie for short). He is about 10 years old and in great health. Still eating and hoppin around. But I noticed that if looks like his testicles and/or rectum is swollen. We also noticed he had some matting (he always bumps into the water and gets himself wet and I must have missed it to clean him up). But then upon further examination we found what seems like a sore (maybe a tumor) in the crease of his abdomen/hind leg.

I attached some photos (last one is just so you can see the handsome boy). He is living with my parents right now, I’ve been between apartments for a while and they said he’s been okay, maybe really recently he hasn’t drank as much as he normally did.

I feel like a failure and would love any input. The vets are so expensive and their hours were messed up with Memorial Day.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• A9A8D84C-6C1D-4A39-AD6F-C9169A6E1E5B.jpeg
    A9A8D84C-6C1D-4A39-AD6F-C9169A6E1E5B.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 11
  • B1BA6BEF-8CD2-4F93-8865-5BCC0C2DCB7D.jpeg
    B1BA6BEF-8CD2-4F93-8865-5BCC0C2DCB7D.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3F660B64-1AA5-4DC9-A732-87F5077AE173.jpeg
    3F660B64-1AA5-4DC9-A732-87F5077AE173.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 0C806F69-8382-498C-96F7-39908F4FD21E.jpeg
    0C806F69-8382-498C-96F7-39908F4FD21E.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
were you able to get her checked out?
If I’m being honest, I’m pretty stressed out. I called a few places - some either will not see a chinchilla. Or cost pretty much the same if not more than my car payment. I’m trying to figure this out.
I read a similar post that said it could be from overheating. So I’ve put a fan on as well - some of the swelling did go down. He seemed lethargic, not playful. He’s living at my parents because of my apartment situation. But from Sunday to today he has improved A LOT.

I’m worried he may be constipated now, he hopped around a lot more than he has the past few days. I did a syringe of water and gave him some food and he ate and drank a bit. When I put him back in his home he was eating again.

The sore on his leg also got A LOT better - we cleaned it with light saline solution and some neosporin (safe for him, I made sure prior). It scabbed over and is clean.

does anyone have any remedies for this until I can get paid this week and hopefully be able to afford even just walking into a vets office.

I feel like I’m failing my baby. Please any advise. Or if there is an online vet for chinchillas I can speak to

I don't really have too much advise and I don't know of any online vets. The first pic it does look swollen, they do drop the testicles when hot, but they don't normally look like that, what is the temp in the room? A fan is likely to do more harm then good unless it's pulling cool air into the room and actually lowering the room temp. Also make sure it's not blowing on him, it can cause and upper respiratory infection. A better option would be to turn the AC up to cool the room more. The leg looks like either a bad scab with granulated tissue or something, I would just keep it clean until you get to the vet to have them take a look. Unfortunately vets are expensive, the joys of owning an exotic, lol. You can try applying for a vet credit card if needed, or if you are in the US you could look into pet insurance.

I can't offer much help in the way of diagnoses or remedies, beyond just keeping him in a cool, air conditioned room, keeping things clean (which you're doing), and making sure that he's eating, drinking, and pooping. I'm glad to hear that he seems to be doing better, though I think it would still be good to get him seen by a vet. I know it's expensive. Trust me, I often think wistfully about all the things I could buy if I didn't have to keep money stashed away for potential future vet visits. As Amethyst said, you could look into getting a pet care credit card or a pet health plan. Some vets will also let you pay for treatment in installments, although most won't let you make payments on that initial exam fee, usually payment plans are just for whatever treatment they need on top of that, if they allow payment plans at all (though you could still ask, policies vary).

Hi everyone, Artie was the “runt” of an “oops” litter. He was born at the end of March/ beginning of April in 2012. I got to take him home as my baby boy in May 2012. He defeated the odds, he had actually passed away in my arms yesterday. He was comfortable and wrapped up and laid with me for a few hours before it was his time. I’ll always love my boy. He was the absolute best, such a funny and sweet personality. Thank you for those who have reached out to me and Artie McFly ♥️

Attachments

• E482C949-F87C-426B-A197-2448562D3DE0.jpeg
    E482C949-F87C-426B-A197-2448562D3DE0.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 90ACB2C6-E2AA-4643-B8F0-49B8C12B0BFA.jpeg
    90ACB2C6-E2AA-4643-B8F0-49B8C12B0BFA.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( He was a beautiful boy and it's obvious you loved him very much. I'm glad that you at least got to be with him in his final moments. He knew he was loved. ❤️

Back