Playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I've wanted to let my chins out for playtime, even though there's no toys or anything for them outside of the cage yet. I already have a gate made out of hardware cloth and wood blocking them from accessing the other half of the laundry room. My current issue now is that, from a few escapes, they tend to crawl underneath the cage and nibble at the walls. It's extremely difficult to get them back into the cage and keep an eye on them since it's hard to look at what they're doing behind the cage. Does anyone know any cheap solutions to this? I'm very tight on money. (Luckily they have a chin spin to get out all that chinnie energy.)

It might be easier to let them run in the bathroom. Most bathrooms can you can just close a door and let them go. Be sure there are no chemicals or toilet brushes or whatever on the floor and that the toilet lid is closed at all times. You might also want to look into a playpen when you have a bit of money to spare.

It might be easier to let them run in the bathroom. Most bathrooms can you can just close a door and let them go. Be sure there are no chemicals or toilet brushes or whatever on the floor and that the toilet lid is closed at all times. You might also want to look into a playpen when you have a bit of money to spare.
I'd hate to make them go into the carrier and then out again and then back into it very often. How many times a day should I let them out for playtime? How long should it be? Also, what should the wire bar spacing be on a playpen? (Any online recommendations are also appreciated.)

Playtime should be limited to no more than 15 minutes maximum for an adult chin. Please make sure that the room you exercise them in is cool enough for them.

The playtime will be in my bathroom until I can afford a playpen, and it's usually cool in there, but I'll double check.

Last edited:
Playtime should be limited to no more than 15 minutes maximum for an adult chin. Please make sure that the room you exercise them in is cool enough for them.

Why not? They can be out for much longer than 15 minutes. There is no hard and fast rule for time allowed out of a cage. It depends on the chin. If all they do is sleep (which I doubt would ever happen) then there's no point. If they run to the point of losing weight, then cut back. Keeping it to 15 minutes is hardly worth the hassle of setting everything up and transporting back and forth.

I'd hate to make them go into the carrier and then out again and then back into it very often. How many times a day should I let them out for playtime? How long should it be? Also, what should the wire bar spacing be on a playpen? (Any online recommendations are also appreciated.)

I never used a carrier. I just picked them up and moved them. I would let them out one time a day - and you decide the time length depending on their health and behavior.

These are the playpens I used - https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...MI6KDa2Jvi5QIVS4FaBR07XQFVEAQYAyABEgI8lvD_BwE

That's the 11 panel. There is also a 9. I ordered an extra bottom to use as a top so I didn't have to worry about them escaping. You can probably find it cheaper, I just did a quick search so I could post a picture.

Back