Playtime Pooping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin8710

Chins are infamous for their pooping and mine is no different. That is, until it comes to playtime. For some reason (ever since I first got her) she doesn't poop during playtime. It seems she's having too much fun to take the time to poop. Instead, she saves it all for when she goes back into her cage and then she poops up a storm. While this does make it easy on post-playtime cleanup I found it unusual and contrary to normal chin behavior. Does anyone elses chins do this?

Minnie poos EVERYWHERE during playtime, but Carmen is a little more reserved with playtime poos. She does go some during playtime, but not as much as in her cage. As long as she is going, you're in good shape... maybe she just doesn't want to run around in her poop... I know I wouldn't want to play where I pooped... :yuck:

I have a friend whos chin barely poops during playtime. I wish that was my issue. I have poop all over my house 24/7...and I've just had to come to accept it lol

Ralph used to NEVER poo during playtime, and would hold it in until he went back in his cage. Now, he'll poo every now and then when he's out, but it's still not regular chinnie poo output.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. Just be thankful there's less to clean up :)

When Marble was younger he was more of a prolific pooper when he was out. Now it just depends sometimes he does sometimes he doesn't. In any case there is still plenty of poop outside his cage in general.

Haha, I'm not really worried. It is wierd though but then again, that's what chins are all about. They are full of wonderful surprises and we love them for it :wink3:

I had one that would absolutly not poop outside the cage but most of mine will. I guess it just depends on how clean your chinnie likes to keep his space!

I had one that would absolutly not poop outside the cage but most of mine will. I guess it just depends on how clean your chinnie likes to keep his space!

in that case my chinny is a very dirrty girl lol...she poos anywhere anytime lol...she doesnt seem to mind lol

I wouldn't worry about it. Neither of mine do it out side their cage. We have a 45 min playtime every evening and no poop, no onesys. They get back in have a nice long drink and then...... release.... lol.

Also during the day (when they are supposed to be sleeping) I find they poop less too.

Just less mess to clean up! I would be concerned though if you see an overall decrease in the amounts of poops overall, or a change in shape or consistency.

Lucky ducks my chinchillas poop a lot even outside the cage. Luckily they don't have messy poops and they are easy to clean. Gross but easy. Funny though how small they are compared to a hedgehog's poop. They are bigger animals (maybe not with all that fur) and they don't poop as big. Little random but I always found that to be funny.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't share the same "problem" You are lucky to have such a considerate chin! :) My chin loves to poop everywhere, including on me!

Mine are real pooping machines!! It doesn't matter where they are or who's looking, they let. it fly LOL. I just KNOW that they pick up the poo inside their cage and throw it out onto the floor....little devils

My first chin, Bug, never pooped outside of her cage. The rest of them, on the other hand, poop everywhere! I have one that leaves a huge pile of poop on the shelf where she sleeps.

Back