Play time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeko

Meeko and I have been having a lot of fun lately with really long play times. I once read online that if they're out to play too long they'll start to see the cage as a form of punishment. So I'm just weighing how to handle it because there's no way I can have him out of the cage 100% of the time! Opinions?

I have two Chins and they each get out for about 45 minutes every day. In that time they usually run around and play so hard that after 45 minutes to an hour they wear themselves out and go back in their cage all on their own so time wise that is pretty much their limit for being out. Sometimes they run out of energy before they make it back in their cage plop down and go to sleep right where they are, then I have to gently herd them back in. But for the most part they love their cage and are always ready to go back in on their own. If a Chins cage is set up properly and comfortable for them they will see it as a safety haven and choose that over staying out and I don't think they will see it as punishment.

that sounds more like a warning on kennel training a dog than chinnie behavior. Yuki loves his cage and goes in and out of it during playtime. For chins (and properly kennel trained dogs) the cage is a safe space. If the cage were too small or had wire that hurt the feet or something like that it may become a punishment compared to out of the cage. But if the inside of the cage is a chin playground then it should be a happy space.

Hmm Meeko is nothing like that. He never goes in and out of his cage during playtime and I usually have to catch him in a dust bath or lure him back in. He's super high energy too. Maybe I should rearrange his cage.

Not handy but it is just the required size by the WWA. I wish I could buy him a bigger one but I just don't have the money. He is usually out for at the very least an hour.

There was a thread a while ago where someone upgraded cage sizes and their chin didn't want out because he liked it better... To be honest I just got up and don't want to search for it though :)
Do you have a bunch ledges or a wheel? sometimes how you use the space can help.

Yeah he has a wheel and two regular ledges then two wooden perches. He definitely doesn't usually want to go back in. Sometimes I can catch him in a dust bath but sometimes I have to do it by hand and that always makes me sad. I feel like that'll definitely create a disconnect if I have to grab him and put him back in.

I would post a pic of your cage and people can make recommendations/suggestions that might make him love his cage more.

I've read several threads where chins didn't want to go back to their cages after play times and most of these cases were fixed by some simple recommendations in changing the cage interior.

So it might be worth a try?

Back