Plants

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

Madip

Since it’s starting to warm up I’d like to plant some plants to dry for my chins.
Recommendations on plants and what I can and can not do when planting.

certain dirt?
no fertilizer?
pot or ground?
Just water?

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on where you live, do you have anywhere that you can grow things outside? or would you have more control over things indoors? I live on an acreage so most of my stuff just grows wild/naturally in the ground. If you can't guarantee no one will dump anything on the ground or anything it's better to do indoors in pots. I do not use any fertilizer, though you could use chin poop as natural fertilizer if you want (it's even free and I have no doubt you have lots of it ;):ROFLMAO:). If planting indoors try to find an organic potting soil to avoid any chemicals.

As to plant you can grow, things like mints are very easy to grow indoors or out, you can also grow dandelion (the whole plant is safe), red clover (best to just use the flowers), raspberry (the leaves are safe not the fruit), roses (petals, blossoms, and rose hips), lavender (flowers), honeysuckle, you could also grow some oat grass or wheat grass (I would grow that indoors only to avoid other animals eating it) and dry it into hay once it grows long enough.

Madip

Depends on where you live, do you have anywhere that you can grow things outside? or would you have more control over things indoors? I live on an acreage so most of my stuff just grows wild/naturally in the ground. If you can't guarantee no one will dump anything on the ground or anything it's better to do indoors in pots. I do not use any fertilizer, though you could use chin poop as natural fertilizer if you want (it's even free and I have no doubt you have lots of it ;):ROFLMAO:). If planting indoors try to find an organic potting soil to avoid any chemicals.

As to plant you can grow, things like mints are very easy to grow indoors or out, you can also grow dandelion (the whole plant is safe), red clover (best to just use the flowers), raspberry (the leaves are safe not the fruit), roses (petals, blossoms, and rose hips), lavender (flowers), honeysuckle, you could also grow some oat grass or wheat grass (I would grow that indoors only to avoid other animals eating it) and dry it into hay once it grows long enough.
Awesome!!! I shall get on it! I live in Michigan so we have been going back and forth from 80 to snow 😂😂😂

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome!!! I shall get on it! I live in Michigan so we have been going back and forth from 80 to snow 😂😂😂
Yeah it was just snowing here yesterday too but back in the 60s today :rolleyes: 😂. I meant it depends more along the lines of if you live in a house in a tightly packed neighborhood with close neighbors, an apartment, or more an isolated area where you can control who has access to your property (people's dogs pooping on the lawn, people using chemical next door that might get sprayed or washed onto your property, etc), but yeah weather is another factor too 😂.

Latest posts