Pinecones for chewtoys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

i've been seeing alot of ads for pinecones as chewtoys, does anyone know whether they're safe, and maybe how to dry and prepare them if they are, i can find plenty of pinceones around here...

only 100% organic pine cones from trees that are on the safe wood list are ok for chins, from what i have gathered. no cones from spruce trees! (spruce is toxic to chins)

so unless you know for sure that the pine cones you see are from a chin safe tree, have never been sprayed, the tree itself has never been sprayed with pesticides or fertilizers, and you prepare the cones right (i believe you scrub boil and bake them just the same as wood preparation?), then don't consider them for your chins. buy them from a chin safe vendor instead.

I don't use them because you'll never be able to get ALL that sap out of them

Plus I never recommend people go collect them because most people can't tell me what the difference between the cone from a pine tree and the cone from the spruce tree is. Tho I know the difference, most people see a conifer and say pine tree lol

Plus from what I hear other people's chins did not care for them so mehh

thanks guys!i was iffy on it, so i havn't done it, i don't want to give her anything that could make her sick, the ads just made me curious.
i guess i'll stick with apple sticks!

Back