Pine cones???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochelle

Ok, so i did the search on here!

In 2009 someone asked about giving pine cones, almost everyone said NO.
In 2010 same question asked and the answer was YES, as long as you clean'em with HOT water and then bake in oven at 300* for a few hours.
:banghead:

I would like to know IS it OK to give them pine cones??

I wouldn't recommend it. You can never get all the sap from inside the pine cone. I would be afraid I would end up with a sticky chinchilla. Not worth it in my opinion.

I personally would not give a chin a pine cone. Pine given to a chin needs to be kiln dried, you want all the sap removed. Like Crysta said, I don't want a sticky chin. Aside from that, you have no clue what the cone has been sprayed with.

Some people here use the pincones once they have been scrubbed, boiled and dried out.
Some chins like them, some don't. *shrugs*

Dawn, love the idea of the bird feeder on that site. :thumbsup:

i have done pine cones. its a ton a work and crysta is right, it is very difficult to get all the sap out. the couple that were opened and sap free, they really didnt like. you would be better off getting a small board of kiln dried pine from home depot and cutting that into small blocks.

Ive given my chinchilla pine cones and she loves it - We have a plantation of the pine trees growing in our area so i pick them from the ground , boil them in water till everything is clean and boom a happy chinchilla ( she has never gotten sticky )

Back